to Hermann: across the Missouri River and onto the Katy Trail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2017

to Hermann: across the Missouri River and onto the Katy Trail

The thunderstorms keep coming all night long. It rains and rains, but we are dry in our tent. The only moisture we get is some condensation on the inside of the rain fly that finds it way through the inner tent and into our sleeping bags and sheets where they touch. We didn't vent the inner tent enough. In the morning it is dry though and the skies have cleared. We have our coffee and oatmeal and start the 3 mile park road back out to route 185.

Route 185 intersects Interstate 44, there is a frontage road which we take towards St.Clair. We make good time, the air is fresh and we have a tailwind. Along the road are signs for the Historic Route 66 that connected Chicago with Los Angeles before it was mostly renamed.

At St.Clair we are disappointed with the breakfast choices. There is no small-town-cafe, so we settle for a McDonald's breakfast. Route 47 takes us to Union, and towards the Missouri River. The hills continue, every time we think this must be the last one before the river, we crest a hill and can see the next ridge in front of us.

Finally across the Missouri we get on the Katy Trail at the Dutzow trailhead. We meet two cyclist going in the opposite direction. They are about to start their senior year at the University of Missouri and never toured before yet decided to cycle the Katy trail. Tara, from Missouri is studying nursing and Anna from Colorado is studying journalism. We had planned to only go about 4 miles to Marthasville, but Dave's Caboose, where we had planned to camp is closed and for sale.

It is still early enough, and even though we could have camped at the baseball fields, we decide to go on to Hermann. We regret that decision as we struggle against a strong headwind that soon picks up. Fortunately most of the trail is tucked away in the trees. From the Hermann trailhead we have to go about three miles back across the river to town. We stop at the first bar/restaurant we see and have beers and a "famous" burger. Rachel says deja vu to how hamburgers were when growing up in the '50s.

Camping is in the city park, where a tent site goes for $15. There are restrooms and showers but no WiFi. We share the site with another cyclist that soon pulls in, Mark is from St.Louis and came here to see the eclipse next week. He used to run the photography department at a major St.Louis newspaper and has interesting stories to share.

It rained and stormed most of the night at Meramec State Park. Things look pretty soggy in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving the Meramec River. Another hill to climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We follow I-44 to St.Claire. The historic route 66 followed this same route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mailbox set.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Missouri River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the north side of the Missouri we link-up with the Katy Trail. This is an awesome rail-to-trail bike path you can follow from St. Louis to Kansas City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plenty of old riveted steel railroad bridges on the Katy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet fellow cyclists on the Katy. Anna and Tara are cycling from Clinton to St.Louis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another 150 year old steel bridge on the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farms and big skies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soy beans and farms along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing back over the Missouri to Hermann.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Herman City Park campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 111 km (69 miles)
Total: 37,502 km (23,289 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0