Jefferson City restday: Good beer and plenty of it - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2017

Jefferson City restday: Good beer and plenty of it

When we contacted Nick, our host here, he mentioned that one of the local bikestores was organizing a “pub crawl” ride today. He invited us to take a day off and we happily accepted. This morning we relax and catch up on our journal. Nick takes the roof and doors off his Jeep Willy 4x4 and takes us on a drive through Jefferson City showing off the Capitol building, the old penitentiary and nice old neighborhoods around town. On the way back we shop for supplies for the next couple of days.

Patrick has picked up another one of the pesky wires and needs to fix his rear tube. At about 2:30 we ride our bikes up to the winery just outside Nick’s subdivision for a pre-function: lunch and a nice draft Blue Moon with a slice of orange. Afterwards we ride down to the Jefferson City center. We have to cross the Missouri River, there is a large square structure with a ramp that takes us up to the bridge level. There are at least three levels of ramp and it seems to go on forever. Across the river we discover Jefferson City is really hilly. We meet at the Red Wheels bike store, then make our way with a group of about fifty cyclists to three different bars for beers. It’s a nice afternoon, but we need to work for the brews. Have we mentioned the capital of Missouri is hilly?

We make it across the bridge and back up the hill to the winery just before dark. That calls for one more brew at the winery, then in the dark back to Nick’s house. A nice restday, even though we broke our mantra of never cycling on a restday.

Missouri State Capitol building in Jefferson City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Round one, a blue moon appetizer with Nick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding into Jefferson City with Nick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down to the Capitol building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Round two.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even Guinness is getting into the eclipse mania.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite the structure to get bicycles onto the bridge across the Missouri River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 37,599 km (23,349 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0