to Gara Oresec: and a train to Sofia - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2015

to Gara Oresec: and a train to Sofia

Basic rule: Never trust a car drivers description of the road you are to cycle.

As we leave town there is a local festival gathering for the holiday of when the Bulgarian language became a written language. After a 3 km climb out of Belogradchik we reach the summit. About 6 kms away in the valley, we see Oresec, but the road snakes another 11kms down to the town.

Easy enough to find the train station, a helpful agent sells us our tickets to Sofia, then we cycle back to the corner cafe for coffee to begin our four hour wait for the train to arrive.

The train pulls into the station and there is no one around to indicate how people get onto the train, except we knew the stop was quick. We had discussed how to handle the bikes to get them on the train. Patrick can get Rachel's bike on by himself, but will take both of us to get Patrick's bike on. From the platform there are two steps up into the train, somehow we did it before the train pulled away from the station. But then...after a few more stops, the conductor points to us to move the bikes to the back of the car. Panniers had to be removed to get the bikes down the aisle. "I'm ready to be done with Eastern Europe, how about you?" Patrick says, "Yes" Rachel replied. With the exception of the owner of the guesthouse in Belogradchik, we have found people being use to looking after themselves only.

When we arrived in Sofia though, two local cyclists also on the train helped us get our gear off the train and one helped us through the train station to our hostel. A welcomed assistance, as it was a maze to navigate. Everything in Bulgaria seems to be either abandoned to disrepair, abandoned mid-construction, or ongoing construction with no sense of urgency to complete.

We have a short climb out of Belogradchik to get to the nearest train station in Orosec.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for a train in Oresec.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These tracks will take us to the capital of Sofia in about 4 hours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen these postings everywhere in Bulgaria. It appears they are death notices, we are not sure though why and for how long they are posted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here comes the train. It is a mad scramble to wrestle the heavy bikes up the narrow steep stairs into the carriage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They are in. We're moving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two local cyclist join the train on the way to Sofia. Both are very helpful assisting us with unloading because "they are cyclists too". One guy even walks us all the way to our hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most elevators at the Sofia train station are out-of-order. Hauling loaded bikes up the stairs. We are happy to have help.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Alegra Hostel is very close to the train station. Ivo the owner is great help getting us on the train tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My only photo of Sofia, taken while we make a mad dash for the local Mcdonalds and a big-mac meal. Yes, we admit it......
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 2,953 km (1,834 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0