to Bansko: by train again - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2015

to Bansko: by train again

"Only one more hurdle" Rachel says as we get our bikes onto the historic narrow gauge train out of Septemvri to Bansko. Hopefully, at the end of the ride, our warmshowers host will meet us at the train to help with getting the bikes off. And he was!

The day started with the Alegra hostel owner showing us to the ticket counter in the train station. Again because the elevators were out of order, we have to carry our bikes down stairs...though it is much easier going down stairs than up. And we did again have to carry the bikes up stairs to get to the departing platform. All went a little bit easier today. The train was about even with the platform so not having to lift the bikes so high helped. We will have a two and half hour wait in Septemvri, with enough time to figure out where to buy the ticket and get to where the train departs to Bansko.

The ticket was easy enough to purchase after getting off the train from Sofia. This train station also has ongoing construction and very little activity. The train to Bansko is on the other side of the tracks, so one more time the bikes are carried down the stairs, through an underpass and up the stairs. Each leg of our train travel, the tickets have been $5 and $1 for the bike.

We will go up through the Rhondope Mountains gaining a 1000 meters to Bansko, a ski town in the Pirin Mountains. The scenery is beautiful and would be a great bike ride, though the roads seemed pretty narrow.

The train left late so we got into Bansko after 6pm. Our warmshowers host settles us into his place then we go out for dinner. We will take another rest day tomorrow to have a look around the Old Town of Bansko and plan the next stage of trip to Istanbul, Turkey and Tblisi, Georgia. Our tickets from Tblisi have been purchased for July 21, we fly to Nairobi.

Back at the station waiting for a train east to Septemvri.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting the bikes on is a bit easier today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Septemvri a narrow gauge railroad line leads into the mountains to Bansko.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting again. There are four trains daily up this line, the average speed is 26 km/hour. A slow slog up into the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes go at the back of the train again. It is an older carriage with uncomfortable seats, but great views of the canyons and mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The railroad is single-track, so a couple of times we have to wait on a sidetrack to let the downhill train pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Bansko station we are welcomed by our warmshowers host Lyuben
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 2,956 km (1,836 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0