Two restdays in Belogradchik: rocks and a fortress - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2015

Two restdays in Belogradchik: rocks and a fortress

A much needed two days of rest after 8 days cycling. Chores like laundry get done and catch up on journal writing and just relaxing in a great guesthouse. Patrick was able to watch the GIRO, Italian bike race.

The first day we did a hike to the Belogradchik Fortress located on the northern slopes of the Balkan mountains. Romans originally founded the fortress in the 1st to 3rd Centuries. The 14th century, Tsar Vidin ruled the fortress until it was captured by the Ottomens. During the 19th century, the fortress held onto some military and defensive purposes but now touted as a tourist attraction.

After cycling into the large cities of Prague and Budapest, we've definitely decided not to cycle into Sofia, capital of Bulgaria. This will save us 3 days cycling, and Rachel always likes to experience public transportation (especially trains) in other countries. Then if we don't want to cycle into the city, we also don't want to cycle out, then the decision is how far to go.

We hear from a warmshowers host in Bansko of an historic small gauge train from Septemvri to Bansko that is a very beautiful ride through the Rhondope Mountains and up to the Pirin Mountains. The two day train ride will save us a total of 7 days of cycling that will give us more time in Turkey or Georgia. We are not "purists" and have to cycle everything. It's about travelling and not about the bike, and what is the best use of time and energy.

"This isn't any better than "that", only different.

The fortress of Belogradchik, built in layers amongst the rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View down from the second layer. The valley in the background is where we cycled in from yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Belogradchik. It looks like at one point a serious push was made here to develop tourism, but sadly most trails and signs are in disrepair now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been seeing and smelling these flowers for the last couple of weeks now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Geto Guesthouse in Belogradchik. Highly recommended for its nice rooms, friendly owner and pleasant garden. We had local take away food for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0