To Elands Bay: short ride after a restday - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2015

To Elands Bay: short ride after a restday

"We are raising awareness and money for "Miles for Smiles" through a race with horse riders and runners..."Man versus Beast". This is an endurance race of 800kms in 16 days along the west coast of South Africa. As part of Operation Smile, "Miles for Smiles" will help provide corrective surgery for children born with cleft lips and palates, and corrective surgery for Rhinos who have been victims of poaching. Check out their website Miles for Smiles.

On the road along the railroad line, we had been seeing hoof prints in the sand, so it was fun to have caught up and chatted with the horse riders. Seeing people and talking with them during the days ride has not been happening for very long time, ever since Botswana.

Yesterday was a rest day in Lamberts Bay. We watched movies! First time since on the road the TV had a movie channel. We walked into town (about a kilometer) and had another great lunch of fish at Isabella's. Even though we'd taken the day off, today is a short day. Then....

"It's Elands Bay" Patrick says. All of a sudden a short day becomes even shorter, Elands Bay is not another 25kms! We find the Municipal Campground and set up camp. Not much to Elands Bay (South), though there is a hotel, a backpackers place with restaurant, a small grocery store and two Bottle Stores (Liquor).

Today is the start of South Africa Summer Holiday. We don't know what to expect for traffic on the road, or if campgrounds will be full. Only 4 days to Capetown.

Again, we ride the "private" road alongside the railway. We see several 'really' long trains, two engines up front, two times two in the middle and one on the end of the kilometers long train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A group of guys painting a steel tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A group of three horse riders doing a ride around South Africa to raise funds for "miles for smiles" a charity that does cleft paletes surgeries on people and nasal surgery on rhinos.... They are racing a group of runners that we never catch up with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
White sand dunes near Eland Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eland Bay beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 10,474 km (6,504 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0