Week 37: To Lambert's Bay: riding the "private" road along the railroad - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 9, 2015

Week 37: To Lambert's Bay: riding the "private" road along the railroad

"It's a turtle safari" Rachel says riding along the railroad out of Doornbaai. So many turtles are crossing the road, they scurry rather quickly but we wonder why? Guess we are missing seeing zebras and elephants. Instead, we see the ocean coastline.

We leave Strandfontein early, 5 kms down the road is Doornbaai, looks like a nice alternative place to stay with accommodation, restaurants and pubs. The railroad road is hard packed with occasional spots with loose sand and relatively flat. Other cyclists have free camped along this road.

The last ten kms to Lambert's bay becomes short steep rolling hills and a bit inland before going into town. We stay at Wondersig Pension, recommended by other cyclists. Its a bit of a ways from the town center, so the owner arranges a ride to and from the town. We have a great view of the ocean and Patrick captures some great evening photos.

Our room is self contained, meaning a kitchen. Rachel fixes taco salad for dinner. For the first time in eight months TV with a Dutch news channel and movie channel!

Tomorrow is a rest day.

View over Strandfontein from our campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doornbaai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gravel road alongside the railroad is the most direct route towards Lamberts Bay. It is officially closed to traffic, but bicyclists are tolerated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We share the road with turtles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harbor of Lambertsbaai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Lambertsbaai.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 10,449 km (6,489 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0