To Veldrif: last of the dirt roads - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2015

To Veldrif: last of the dirt roads

"I'm happy those last 15kms were on tar road" Rachel says as we finally get to Veldrif. The wind had turned and we were cycling into a strong headwind.

The day started finding the railroad line road again. We retrace the road out of town to a turnoff for North Elands Bay, then a junction with a sign to Veldrif on a tar road going left. Patrick thinks the railroad road is to the right. A local woman stops to help with directions. We go right.

North Elands Bay looks like the fancier part of town, there is a backpacker's place but we didn't see any shops along the road. The tar road ends. The dirt starts and continues for about 15kms then meets up with the tar road. At this point, the tar road parallels with the dirt road, so we stick to the tar road....and we make good time with a tailwind for about 20kms. When the tar road goes inland, we catch the dirt road again for about 10kms, this cuts off some kilometers if we'd stuck to the tar road, until we cross the main road, Route 27, again. We think this is the end of the line for following the railroad line.

We reach Dwarskersbos. The wind shifts. We are riding the last 15kms into Veldrif with a strong headwind. The municipal campground is on the other side of town, so we stop at the Spar grocery to pick up supplies before continuing to the camp.

We are very close to Capetown, 130kms, and will take the next 3 short days to get there.

Leaving Elands Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just outside of town the road turns to gravel. We have chosen to go around the big cliff following the railroad line instead of taking the longer tarred road that climbs over the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at Elands Bay. The clouds are ominous today, we get a little rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along the ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upon entering Veldrif we use googlemaps to get our bearings. First a store, then campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harbour of Veldrif.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 10,541 km (6,546 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0