Day 4: Etosha to Damaraland: Twijfelfontein and lots of rocks. - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2015

Day 4: Etosha to Damaraland: Twijfelfontein and lots of rocks.

"I've taken 200 pictures of rocks" Patrick says. We took a side trip off the main road, 18 kms to Finger Rock, something we would not have done if cycling. The Fransfonteinberg range is to the north.

After Khorixas, we stop at the Petrified Forest, a UNESCO site. Then soon after this visit, we turn off onto D2612 to visit Twyfelfontein (World Heritage Site), Organ Pipes, and Burnt Mountain before arriving at our campsite, Madisa Camp.

Twyfelfontein is a protected site since 1952. Here we walk with a local guide who takes us on a loop showing us and explaining engravings on the red sandstone rock carved 8000 years ago. The pictures are representative of animals the hunter gatherers of Damaraland (bushmen) would have hunted. Twyfelfontein means "doubtful water", named by the farmer who settled on this land. Organ pipes is just down the road and are dolerite formed 125 million years ago by cooling magma. A bit further is Burnt Mountain where hot lava cooked the schist.

The language in Damaraland is Khoisan, the language with specific "click" sounds of the people Khoi-Khoi and Sans, or bushman. If you've ever seen the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" you'd know what this sounds like.

We made it to our camp for the night, Madisa Camp, set amongst red boulders and with outdoor shower and toilet set up on a platform. It's almost a fun moon!

Tomorrow, the Skeleton Coast, Dorob National Park and the German town of Swakopmund.

For cyclists: Etosha to Outjo (117 km) lodges up to 50 kms from Etosha, most will offer camping options. 2 kms from Outji road becomes hilly. Outjo to Khorixas (130km), road is hilly out of town with 2 farms about 30-40kms out of town. There is a NWR rest camp 70 kms from Khorixas but is 6 kms from main road.

Khorixas to Tora Bay, beyond the junction 2612 to organ pipes Twyfelfontein, there is Mowani Mountain camp.

Total distance: 230 kms tar road, 130kms gravel road

Could be Arizona but these "monuments" are in Damaraland Namibia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near a tourist lodge two women are selling crafts. You buy something you get to take pictures....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
These logs were deposited there milions of years ago when a big flood swept them down from Central Africa, they were then covered up and petrified. The Welwitschia Mirabelis plant in the foreground is unique to Namibia and can live 2000 years.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bushman rock art at Twijfelfontein. Twijfelfontein is a combination of two dutch words meaning doubtful spring.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Table mountains in Damaraland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campsite at Madisa Camp. Notice the open-air facilities.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset at Madisa Camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0