Day 11: Fish River Canyon: day trip to the Fish River Canyon viewpoints and Ai-Ais - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 30, 2015

Day 11: Fish River Canyon: day trip to the Fish River Canyon viewpoints and Ai-Ais

The bushman's legend says the snake Koutein Kooru, pursued by hunters, dug in his flight the deep winding Fish River Canyon. Interesting how similar the story to the Australian aboriginal story of dream time when the landscape was carved by a snake.

The canyon was carved by millions of years of erosion, volcanic and tectonic movement, and covered by a shallow sea. Today Nigel joins us to go explore and scout out potential camping spots and where water may be obtained for when he cycles. Ai Ais is at the end of the 4 day hiking trail in the canyon. A nice spot but 10 kms a dead end, in and down from the junction that goes further South.

We are still deciding what to do after we return the truck tomorrow at Keetmanshoop. Our hearts want to cycle, then reality hits. We would need to cycle two days back to where we are now. Then be able to navigate the sandy road and carry enough water. We have 3 weeks to get to Capetown, do we want to cycle here or more around Capetown? The tipping point to the decision not to cycle this stretch was the weather forecast.... temperatures in the 100F range.

At Fish River Canyon. Depending on how you measure, the second largest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Impressive views
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiver tree in desert landscape
Heart 1 Comment 0
This old car is sitting in the desert with the radiator fan still turning in the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A herd of zebra with the canyon in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We say our goodbyes to Nigel, he is cycling off headed south after the worst heat of the day has passed. Maybe our paths will cross again in the Pamirs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nigel headed off. A strong 59 year old cyclist with a great adventurous spririt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0