Day 12: To Keetmanshoop: we lose the diesel engine.......  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2015

Day 12: To Keetmanshoop: we lose the diesel engine....... 

On the drive to Keetmanshoop that marks the end of the 12 day self drive, we still vacillate about which direction to cycle. This has been a great way to see more of Namibia than our time and the season allowed. Namibia is definitely worth seeing, but bicycling all of it was not the right way for us.

Cycling in the right season also makes a difference, we are here in summer and the temperatures are high. The challenge besides the sandy roads is water! The rivers marked on maps are dry riverbeds. We hear from other cyclists that people will stop to give water, and the bore holes marked by a windmill and round concrete collection basin is a source. There are ranches and lodges along the roads, but sometimes 3 or more kms off the main road on a sandy track.

We find a post office in Keetmanshoop for Patrick to mail a thumb drive with backups of our photos to our friend Bob who is taking care of things for us at home. He downloads the photos on a hard drive then will mail the thumb drive back to us in Capetown. Then we find the B&B guesthouse the Madiza touring company arranged.

Patrick works on the bikes, soon we will be back on a bike trip! The break has been good.

Our bikes in the back of our "bakkie". Not a pretty sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arrived in Keetmanshoop. Our bikes have had a bumpy ride back there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hosing the dust of our bikes in the beautiful garden of Gesserts B&B
Heart 1 Comment 0
Working on the bikes. Rachel's bottom bracket has come loose, we're able to tighten it enough.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our B&B has a pool! Great since it is 100 degrees again....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0