Day 10: To Canon roadhouse: More Namibian desert - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2015

Day 10: To Canon roadhouse: More Namibian desert

"I thought we'd be somewhere over the rainbow" Rachel says in the morning. "Tumbling down the desert in the tent" Patrick replied.

The wind howled all night, there would be seconds of quiet calm where we could here the next gust of wind coming, then the sides of the tent would shake and dust blown all around. The Hillenberg tent held up without the extra guide lines in the very strong wind. The night was not a very restful sleep. Sometimes all that doesn't matter, when in a beautiful spot camping halfway on the D707, one of the beautiful routes in Namibia.

The road continues to be a combination of solid, would be easy cycling, to where in the dips a soft sand that would stop a bike, except maybe the Fat tire bikes. At Betta, there is camping, restaurant, and gas station. When we arrived and stopped for a cold drink, Patrick talked with a dutch couple who had a flat tire. The gas station employees, even advertising a Tyre Repair, were not helpful, Patrick helped change the tire. Soon we were on our way to the destination for the day, Canon Roadhouse.

When you first see the Canon Roadhouse, one could think you are at a Roadhouse in Outback Australia. There is a loaded touring bike propped up near the entrance. We immediately spot the cyclist and strike up a conversation. He is a Kiwi who has lived in Australia working as an arborist, cycling now for 5 years. Eventually, he decides to stay the night in the campground and sets up his tent next to ours.

We all go for a swim to cool off and then have a fabulous dinner of lasagne and oryx steak.

For cyclists: 170 kms tar road and 200 kms gravel road.

We meet a fellow cyclist at the Roadhouse. Nigel is a Kiwi (and Aussie) and has cycled down from Cairo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bar at Canon Roadhouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
Swimming pools in the desert are great!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The famous burgers at the Canon Roadhouse, large and good!
Heart 1 Comment 0
License plate collection at Canon Roadhouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiver tree grow everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All kinds of garden art.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0