Day 9: To Namtib Desert Lodge: Sunrise at Sossusvlei - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 28, 2015

Day 9: To Namtib Desert Lodge: Sunrise at Sossusvlei

"Yes, of course, you can ride along" Patrick says. We are up very early for the sunrise, John and Richard, camped next to us, are not allowed to motorcycle into the park, so they join us for the ride to Sossusvlei Pan.

The dunes are very impressive, we will let the pictures say it all. After the drive, we are back at camp and John & Richard treat us to breakfast. Then breaking camp, we head to our next destination Namtib Desert Lodge. At Betta, we stop for a cold drink. This is an oasis in the desert with camping, restuarant and gas station. There is a Dutch couple from Roosendaal with a flat tire, and Patrick helps with changing the tire.

We reach the turnoff to the Namtib Desert Lodge off D707, supposedly one of the most beautiful roads in Namibia. The Lodge is 12kms off the main road, no worries, we are in a vehicle. We got through several gates that need to be opened then closed....the rule of the farms is leave the gates as you find them.

For cyclists: at 30kms before Betta on D707 there is a farm Wereland there is camping at Betta.

Total distance: 250 kms gravel road

Heart 1 Comment 0
At Sossusvlei Pan and Sand dune after sunrise
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Richard (left) and John, Son and Father from Scotland, motorcyling. Motorcycles not allowed in the Park, so we give them a lift to Sossusvlei for the sunrise.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our 4x4 truck, driving the road to our next destination Namtib Farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Namtib Desert Lodge, 12kms off the main road, on a bike we would never have gone off to camp here and it was a beautiful spot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campsite at Namtib Desert Lodge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sun setting behind our camp
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0