Day 83: North Buffalo to Lockport - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2021

Day 83: North Buffalo to Lockport

Happy 71 Rachel

“Happy Birthday Rachel,” Duke says as he is pouring us coffee. “Happy Birthday,” Janice says and gives Rachel a birthday card. Making the day special, Patrick periodically throughout the day says “Happy Birthday Rachel.”

We backtrack the route Mike lead us on yesterday to the bridge at the start of the Erie Canalway. From there, we are mostly on bikepaths which is good because there is dense fog.

We reach the Nelson Café for second breakfast and when we start riding again, the fog has lifted. Patrick navigates us through La Salle and onto a bikepath that leads us to Niagara Falls.

In May 1995, Patrick came to America with his bike and a suitcase on a tourist visa. When we decided to marry, we took a trip to Niagara Falls, visiting a friend of his in Canada and through Holland Michigan. Now after 26 years we return on Rachel’s 71st Birthday. We take a few photos and then ride back the 15 miles to the historic bridge. Almost back to the bridge, we see four people with panniers. “Hi fun people” the man says. We stop and talk awhile to find out they are from Boise ID!

Six miles from Lockport we stop at Uncle G’s for ice cream. There is a sign “Happy 31st birthday Mikie” and we find out that the family of Mike is honoring his memory by offering free ice cream, we leave a tip. There is a group of four older men on recumbent bikes who are friendly and we join them. They tell us some history of the locks in Lockport. There are two sets of five locks, the narrower of the two older than the wider locks. In the narrow locks is a traditional freight boat replica that one of the cyclists helped build.

When we reach Lockport we go off the trail, and ride about a mile to the Quality Inn. After cleaning up, we walk to a restaurant and have an excellent birthday dinner of Sushi.

Duke and Janice
Heart 1 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI want a really cool shirt like Duke's. I sure miss NPR's "Car Talk" even though I've never had even the least bit of interest in cars.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauI did too! Car Talk was one of my favorite radio shows. I didn’t listen regularly but it was always a delight when I happened upon it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Hi fine people," he says. We stop and talk and find out they are from Boise too! A happy group, cycling to Niagara Falls and then the Erie Canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tribute to Mike by his family providing free ice cream
Heart 0 Comment 0
A group of local cyclists on recumbent bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the path by the Ice cream place
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not an accurate map of our route as we back tracked 15miles to the Falls and back before getting on the Erie Canalway to Lockport

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 3,433 miles (5,525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0