Day 8: Omak to Tonasket - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2021

Day 8: Omak to Tonasket

Short day in miles

“Go back across to the right side of the road, and see that white truck past the bridge? Turn right and take that road all the way into Tonasket,” said the driver of the pilot car. Since Riverside, the road had been torn up and periodically signs “Be Prepared to Stop”, and we were wondering when the flaggers would actually appear. We are about 6 miles from Tonasket when we are stopped and told to go to the other side of the road and wait.

 When we are up this morning, Larry has already left to drive the school bus, Lynette is trying to get ready to leave, and “Gus” (nickname for their daughter) is fixing her breakfast. We eat granola with banana and milk, pack up and again express our gratitude for their hospitality,  fun evening, and advice about the road ahead.

We go left from their house, then left back to Hwy 20 and then left at the Arby’s on a back road to Riverside recommended by Larry. There’s a steep hill almost immediately but we continue on, and a school bus comes toward us lightly honking…we are pretty sure that was Larry. A second steep hill we question maybe we should go back to the highway. The road becomes more manageable with rolling hills past orchards. The headwind doesn’t help much with making progress to Riverside and the Appaloosa Café for second breakfast.

The road still has a decent shoulder for us to cycle upon, and with a one lane road somewhere up ahead, there are spurts of traffic rather than constant passing of oncoming cars. Taking the advice of the pilot car driver, we turn on South State Frontage road until it merges with Clarkson Mill Road into town. 

We see Shannon’s café and deli on the left and remember John and Rob had recommended her place for food and that she is bike friendly. It is still only just past noon, but the headwind has worn us out and we don’t feel up to tackling Wauconda Summit today. So we ride through town and seek out the Chamber of Commerce RV Park that has a small lawn area for tenters. Thanks to Terry & Janet O'Brien we knew this camping area existed as it's past the turnoff to Republic. The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

 The cost is low at $8 per tent, but provides only a port-a-potty and water spigot. Later in the afternoon when the caretaker stops by to collect the fee, he makes sure the sprinklers won’t come on, and we get the WiFi password.

There is a grocery store across the road where we get some fried chicken for lunch. We read the afternoon away, get in touch with a Warmshowers host in Republic for tomorrow night and cook dinner. 

Cycling through Orchard country
Heart 1 Comment 0
Main street of Riverside
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNot often we see a jet contrail circle!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensF18's out of Whitby Island
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Side road into Tonasket around the construction
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltAsphalt strip mine! :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Road treasure, Patrick collects license plates
Heart 3 Comment 0
Caretaker at the campground
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 293 miles (472 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0