Day 69: Richland to Colon - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2021

Day 69: Richland to Colon

Michigan Backroads

“We’ll see you in Boise in the Spring,” Rachel says to Wendy and Greg, hopefully.

Patrick navigates us through back roads, mostly through maple forests and farm fields. Still lots of corn and soy beans. The traffic is very light on Sunday morning. There are small rolling hills, and even though the humidity is sky high the clouds are keeping the temperature from rising too fast. The back roads are nice cycling, but it keeps us out of the towns. Not until after about 25 miles to we reach Fulton, a cross roads and a small town. We stop at the General/Liquor Store for a break. We have chocolate milk with our second breakfast that is leftovers from our first breakfast with Wendy and Greg.

The roads are like a grid, but Patrick has to check the GPS on that occasional jog in the road. Traffic is light. Around noon, we reach our Warmshowers host in Colon. Richard seems to own a whole bunch of buildings and lots of land on the east side of a small lake. One of the buildings is only half finished, but it has AC and power already hooked up, plus a bathroom and a bed upstairs. The shower is a cedar wood enclosure outside. All perfect for us. It is only noon and 84 degrees. Patrick runs to the grocery store just outside of town to pick up some food and drink and we spent the afternoon in AC bliss. The town is known as Magic Capital of the world, and we just missed a Magic Festival. The Lakeside cemetery is the final resting place for 30 magicians.

In the center of town is a nice pub/restaurant where we have dinner.

First breakfast of bacon and egg McWendy....and then we say goodbye to friends, Wendy and Greg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back road away from the Lake
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We want to go straight...and we do, the road closure was nothing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second Breakfast, deviled eggs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second breakfast, leftover bacon and egg McWendy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mailstreet Colon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our place for the night, on the left in front of the building is the outdoor shower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Richard our host
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 2,810 miles (4,522 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0