Day 63 Sheboygan to Manitowoc - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2021

Day 63 Sheboygan to Manitowoc

The end of NT Part 2: Bemidji to Manitowoc

“Since we are riding by the Ferry terminal, let’s stop to buy the tickets,” Patrick says. This also will give us an idea of how long it will take to bike from our Warmshowers hosts.

After fresh bagels for breakfast, Jacob leaves for work and we finish packing and say “thank you” to Lien. We take Lake Shore Drive all the way to Manitowoc. The road has a nice shoulder and we periodically get views of Lake Michigan. We ride past the big Kohler facility and start seeing signs for The Ryder Cup that will be held here later this month. There is controversy between the locals and the Kohler family about the golf course.

When we reach the ferry terminal, Patrick buys us tickets for tomorrow on the S. S. Badger Ferry. We will need to be here by 1pm and wear masks for boarding. It’s lunchtime and we find an Italian Deli in downtown Manitowoc for a great sandwich. When we get to the Warmshowers host the door is open and there is a nice welcome note. In the back garden there is a building that we find out is the “Healing Hermitage”, a peaceful cabin for us to enjoy. Instead of pitching our tent, we will lay our air-mattresses inside. We hear the blast of the horn announcing the arrival of the Badger at around noon. It  makes a daily trip from Ludington MI and back.

A 10 minute walk takes us back to the downtown area. We continue walking back toward the ferry dock to watch the Badger leave at around 2pm. On the opposite side of the canal, we walk back to the Maritime Museum and take a tour of the Cobia submarine. There were 28 fresh water submarines built here in Manitowoc during the war. It’s now about 4pm and we return to our hosts.

After visiting with Cath and Brian, we hear how the Hermitage came to be, a community project with donations of supplies. Cath drives us back to town and drops us off for dinner at the Brix bar and grill. Walking back we pick up supplies at the Kwik Trip.

Today is the last day of cycling in Wisconsin and marks the end to NT Part 2: Bemidji to Manitowoc. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Badger appears on the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Healing Hermitage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
S. S. Badger in port of Manitowoc
Heart 0 Comment 0
Departing for Ludington, Michigan....we will be on the boat tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice the water fountain at street level....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Cobia Submarine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cath and Brian and The Healing Hermitage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 2,612 miles (4,204 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Joanna Hanselmann
Be sure to stop at The House of Flavors for ice cream when you arrive in Ludington! Von Boyage! (Hope it’s not too late!)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago