Day 62: Port Washington to Sheboygan - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2021

Day 62: Port Washington to Sheboygan

Wicked winds

“Where are you headed?” the woman cyclist asks Rachel as she passes. “Bar Harbor Maine,” Rachel says and catches up to Patrick. He asks, “Did you tell the cyclists where we were headed?” Then added: “I heard her tell her partner: “This is not the most direct way to Maine.”

We take our time again this morning as our hosts for tonight asks that we arrive after 2pm. We work our way back to the Ozaukee Interurban Trail through city streets. Local cyclists are out for a Sunday ride. There is a wicked headwind. The trail goes through a few small towns with not much to offer. Reaching Cedar Grove, we leave the trail that skirts the town and find a Koffie Shop for a second breakfast.  At Oostburg the trail officially ends and we pick up the Sheboygan County bike route that is very well sign posted through the town.

We stop in a park along the lake shore and watch the wicked wind whipping up waves. “It’s a good day not to be on the ferry,” Patrick says. Jacob and Lien welcome us to their house where they live with their two young children. Dinner is an international fare. Food had been prepared for a party that was cancelled, so we benefited with Margaritas, Beef and Chicken Fajitas and Vietnamese Spring Rolls.

Jacob had been a bicycle tour guide for 4 years. They have also toured India by motorbike. We have a relaxed afternoon visiting with Jacob. Patrick joins the family to a nearby flooded quarry where the water is just beautiful for swimming. Mosquitoes are bad though….. In the evening we watch a few of our slides from the trip in Ladakh. Jacob and Lien recognize the overnight camps at Whiskey Nallah and Pang. We also get to see some of Jacob’s movies he made while cycling in Europe and Morocco.

Tomorrow to Manitowoc, then the Badger Ferry to Ludington, Michigan.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ozuakee Trail connects to the Sheboygan Interurban Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Joanna HanselmannLove this photo! Joanna
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We know what we would like to burn. The looooooser!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very well marked bike route, just follow the green signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, after two weeks in Wisconsin....pictures of the spotted cows
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sheboygan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at those wicked waves, good day not to be on the Badger Ferry we think
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacob and Lien
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 2,586 miles (4,162 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Joanna HanselmannBe sure to stop at The House of Flavors for ice cream when you arrive in Ludington! Von Boyage!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe cycled by on the way to the camping in state park.....there was a line out the door and around the block!
Thanks for posting!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago