Day 50: Danbury to Amery - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2021

Day 50: Danbury to Amery

Connecting two Rail-to-Trails

“I’m enjoying this,” Patrick says. “Me too, it’s nice not to deal with traffic,” Rachel agrees. We are on the 47 mile Southern section of Gandy Dancer Trail to just outside St. Croix Falls.

The Eagle’s Landing Campground is very near the start of the Gandy Dancer trail named after the hardworking crew that restored the railroad tracks to keep them in alignment. “Dancer” refers to the rhythmic motion of hammering their tools in unison. The tools were manufactured by Gandy Tool Company from Chicago.

A contrast from yesterday where there was nothing along the way, today the trail takes us through a town about every 6-8 miles. At Siren, we stop in at Gary’s Rude Café for second breakfast. And in Milltown we stop for a food break. The surface is hard packed crushed limestone, and we feel lucky that there hasn’t been rain. Rain could make the trail less passable. “Back to straight lines,” Patrick says after a section where the trail meanders around a regional airport. The trees keep us shaded today but even though the temperature isn’t as high as the last couple of days the humidity is stifling.

When we are almost at the terminus of the trail, we see a sign to Dresser. We turn and follow signs to Highway 35. This is a very busy road for about 2 miles with no shoulder. Reminds us of how nice the trail is to not be in traffic. Through Dresser, we follow signs to the Stower Seven Lakes Trail. This trail to Amery is also a nice surface and in the 14.5miles, we pass by 7 lakes. At the beginning of the trail is a warning sign to be aware of ticks. Ride in the middle of the trail is the advice.

We have been in touch with a Warmshowers host in Amery. Even though he is out-of-town and cannot host us he has given us some good advice. After we shop and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, we ride to the North Park Campground. The campground isn’t much, but in the park just adjacent to it there are two large shelters. We settle into the Lions Club shelter and use the campground restrooms. There are even warm showers! Later we walk over to the pizza place that was recommended to us. Excellent pizza!

The evening is refreshingly cool. A stiff breeze blows across the lake and it might even rain tonight so we feel good about having our tent under the shelter roof.

 

Southern Section of the Gandy Dancer Trail
Heart 0 Comment 2
John ManottiTerrific posts. We are enjoying following your journey.
Are the rails-trails you are taking part of the ADventure cycling Northern tier route or are you finding them on your own?
Thank you and good luck. J and L
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi JandL
We're not sure about the ACA route as we dont have their maps, but do think they include some rail to trails. We are making up the route after Grand Forks, using the rail to trail books and trailLinks, also MN has an excellent bike map available through their Dept of transportation. So we are just stitching together the routes. WI has great trails, and google bike4trails, will be what we will be doing...in LaCrosse now.
Thanks for following along. Let us know if any questions we may help with.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Breakfast stop in Siren
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick says, "I've always wanted a truck in our yard."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPrairie coneflower

https://www.eekwi.org/plants/prairie-coneflower
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bit of stretch to call this a tunnel...but nicer than a bridge over a road.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAmazing shot. Looks like you’re biking through the frame of a photograph.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensNice observation, something we hadn't noticed.
Patrick does take good photos...
Rachel
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Since we will be on a lot of Rails to Trails, we buy an annual pass at this self pay station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost at the end of the Gandy Dancer Trail, we will not go to the terminus, but find our way to Dresser
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finding our way past the Interstate trail and state park to Dresser, the trail ends and we are on highway 35
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stower Seven Lakes Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Paul KriegI got tick-bit while on tour in Wyoming in 2008 and did not even know about it at the time. All I knew was I was feeling less well with each passing day. It was Lyme disease. Not pleasant. My doctor diagnosed it based on the symptoms. He told me I could do the blood screen to confirm, or I could go online and purchase a bottle of "Samento". Blood screen for $85 or a bottle of Samento for $50. I did the latter. (I had been symptomatic for about 16 days before I started taking the Samento). When I started taking it, I noticed an improvement immediately. I followed the protocol for 6 months (instead of the suggested 3 months) to be sure I got rid of all of it. The first bottle lasted me almost 6 weeks because of the slow increase of the amounts you take on a daily basis. Now, I keep a bottle around the house in case I ever get tick-bit again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Paul KriegHappy you are ok, it's a nasty disease for sure if not caught early.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Amery, the fishing dock for two people
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping in the Lion's shelter in the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 miles (114 km)
Total: 2,100 miles (3,380 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0