Day 44: Itasca State Park to Bemidji - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2021

Day 44: Itasca State Park to Bemidji

On the MRT to Bemidji

“We have to backtrack to the La Salle Lake turn,” Patrick says as we leave the campsite. This is about 7 miles, and that one thing cyclists hate: back tracking.

The Mississippi River Trail (MRT) is well marked. We cross bridges over the Mississippi River; or is it a crick or a creek depending upon whether you are east or west of the Mississippi? Definitely not yet what we’d call a river. We make the mid- point at Becida where there is a gas station/store that doesn’t open until 10am. The landscape is low rolling hills with lots of hardwood trees and some pine tree plantations with all trees the same size in long straight lines. We make good time. There is only a hazy sunshine, at first we think it is the humidity or thin clouds, but later in the afternoon it becomes clear smoke is drifting in from forest fires up north.

Patrick navigates us through Bemidji to the Paul Bunyan Park where we take the standard picture of Paul Bunyan and Blue Ox Babe. There are bike paths around the lake that almost get us to our Warmshowers host. Mary is at work, but she has given us instructions about the house, and we find a nice welcome note. We have the Subway Sandwich for lunch that we picked up in town earlier then settle in with a shower and laundry. Mary arrives home about 4:30, we visit and then she drives us to the Green Grill by the lake for dinner. After dinner, we go to the park by the Visitor Center and enjoy a music concert. We will take a rest day tomorrow.

This ends Part 1: Everett WA to Bemidji MN, 1799 miles

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Mississippi River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Mississippi River again, a little bit wider but not flowing much
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bemidji Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at WS host
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 1,799 miles (2,895 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0