Day 138: Flight - Amsterdam from Boston - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2021

Day 138: Flight - Amsterdam from Boston

Easy and then not easy

Tony is up early at 5am to get John and Frosene to the Amtrak Train Station early. We are up when he returns and happy that all went well. Rachel does our laundry including the towels and sheets we’ve used while here, and we remake the beds for Tony.

We visit and finish organizing our gear for the flight until about 11am. One last time, we take Tony for lunch at the Thai Restaurant. Then he drives us to Logan airport in Boston. As we check in, the rule for the covid test has changed from 72 hours to 48 hours, making our CVS test obsolete. So we need to get another one done at the airport. It’s good that we are 5 hours early for our flight.

We are in Terminal A and need to go to Terminal C for the rapid Covid test. This is not easy, the shuttle to Terminal C doesn’t arrive, and we decide to walk. We pay for a cart for the gear. We’ve packed in two pannier bags for carryon and they are heavy. When we find the area for the test, there is not too much of a line and we check in and then the shocker….it’s $250 EACH. But we are at the mercy of the regulation with no choice if we want to be on the flight to Amsterdam. The test is done, we wait an hour for the results and relieved that the results are still negative. We reverse our trek and return to the Delta Check in and get our boarding passes.

It’s a tedious process to get through security. We find our gate with less than 2 hours to wait. Confusion ensues with the announcement from by the airline that the Dutch government requires two forms to be completed, with not enough copies. No one ever looks at the forms.

The flight is 7 hours and goes quickly arriving at 8am Sunday. Linda and Marco pick us up at the airport for a two hour drive to Ossendrecht. When we get to Frans and Petra’s house, Oma is also there. After a short visit, having tea/coffee and pastries, we retire for a short nap to begin the adjustment of the time change.

 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonGlad you made it - but 250$ for the test is incredible!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne,
Agree, and it's almost not possible to guarantee a result under 48 hours. At the gate, there was an announcement of what to be checked that you have in place, one statement was a covid test within 72 hours. So we are investigating whether this was an accurate Dutch requirement or the airline.

Thanks for following along and always a treat to receive comments. Hopefully soon our past journals: 2006-07 Asia, Tibet and home, 2015-17 RTW, will be uploaded to this site. And we are just discovering all your journals to read once home.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lucy Martin$250 per test?! Highway robbery. Glad you made it but, ugh, the last-minute stress.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Lucy MartinHi Lucy,
It did seem like a scam...we had the CVS test 72 hours before flight. Just not sure when the rule changed to 48 hours...which is unreasonable as it may take 48 hours to get the results. Thankfully we were 5 hours early, and the line wasn't long, but carrying our heavy carry on luggage across two terminals did add to stress.
Now...it's what will happen on our return flight?
Thanks for following along with us.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago