Day 123: Stockton Springs to Camden Hills State Park - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2021

Day 123: Stockton Springs to Camden Hills State Park

Drying out

“We have slugs on our tent,” Patrick says, it’s early light and we start to pack up. Brent is also up and we are able to visit a bit more with him. At 7:00 we set off, it is only 44 degrees but the clouds are higher and there does not seem to be more rain expected today.

We cycle back to US 1, not much different to report today about the road conditions. Long ups followed by nice coasting sections. The shoulder is good initially. When we reach the junction where US 1 and US 3 diverge, we take US 3 briefly to find a café for second breakfast, then back to US 1. Through Searsport, the shoulder is still there but crumbling. After Lincolnville the shoulder disappears entirely. The traffic though seems respectful, but it’s nerve wracking trying to climb the hills without a shoulder. Not many pictures today.

We reach Camden Hills State Park before noon. The sky looks threatening, but we take the time to spread out the gear and are able to dry out the tent, sleeping pads and bags. We find another slug to the ground sheet. The afternoon we read until time for dinner of our standard pork chops, baked beans and mashed potatoes....and wine.

The days are counting down to our flight to Amsterdam. This may be our last night sleeping in this Mountain Hardwear tent as we have Warmshowers hosts lined up. We used this tent in 1999-2000 cycling in South America. Now the rainfly is starting to leak, so we probably will say goodbye to this tent. 

How is it we get attached to our gear?

Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingFixer upper?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of Belfast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel's flip flops just might make it to Boston
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 4,693 miles (7,553 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0