Day 122: Trenton to Stockton Springs - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2021

Day 122: Trenton to Stockton Springs

Rainy afternoon

There is rain in forecast for this afternoon, and we will be camping at a Warmshowers host. So we set off early. We don’t take the busy route 3 but instead follow route 230 back to Ellsworth. The road follows around the peninsula and skirts Ellsworth before connecting up to US 1. We had hoped to catch a second breakfast in Ellsworth, but guess what: the café is closed on Thursdays. And today is a Thursday….. Right out of town we get surprised by a steep climb, part of it is walking grade. Fortunately after this the road climbs and descends more gently. The shoulder remains wide, the hills long but not steep, the traffic nonstop.

At Bucksport, we stop at a subway, there is a great view of the bay. A big suspension bridge takes us over the Penobscot River; we have a fine view of Fort Knox.

The clouds have been steadily increasing and we get some showers just before we turn off into Stockton Springs. As we arrive at our Warmshowers host at around 2:30 the rain is getting more persistent. The young hosts live in a tiny house off the grid, Brent and Mia greet us outside on the small front porch. They do not have a well, for drinking water they filter the rainwater, and solar panels, composting toilet, and in warmer weather an outdoor shower. They have an organic farm where this year they harvested garlic. They are busy getting ready to harvest ginger on another plot of land and getting ready for the weekend Farmer’s market.

We quickly pitch our tent before the sprinkles of rain turn into a downpour, then dive into the tent away from the mosquitos for all the afternoon. Mia brings us our bottles filled with water and we are mindful of this precious resource for them. Not completely off the grid, they do have internet. And we don’t see them again. We dine on peanut butter sandwiches and cheese and crackers inside the tent. Warmshowers hosts come in all kinds and give what they can. Some feed you five course dinners and have cold beer and ice cream ready for cyclists. Others provide the minimum place to camp. All is appreciated though.

 

Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a thing all through Maine, "Free Stuff" at the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fort Knox
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the steep hill out of Ellsworth, there was a wall with "Free Rocks"....Rachel finally gets a souvenir, a rock that matches her outfit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brent and Mia, living off the grid
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 4,663 miles (7,504 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0