Day 64: Bernalda to Matera - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2023

Day 64: Bernalda to Matera

Short distance with two big climbs

Today is only a short day so we had planned to get a later start than normal. But our new host seems very flexible about when we can check-in, so when we wake at 6:30 like usual we decide to get going.

The clothes are dry and we haul the drying rack back to the upstairs sleeping loft and leave the unit almost as clean as we found it.

We ride across town and find a bikepath that takes us another two kilometers down the road. Two funny things this morning, first one of those tiny Italian cars passes us with a large tire stuck under the vehicle. It makes a tremendous racket, but the driver is oblivious. Finally it folds, almost lifts up the rear of the car and pops out, left behind in the middle of the street. We assume it was picked-up when the car pulled over in one of those handy trash dump sites. The bikepath is funny too. At every driveway, even access to farm fields the path shops as indicated by painted lines and there is an “end bikepath” sign. Then 10 to 15 feet further there is another sign indicating the bikepath starts again. This goes on and on and on. They must have spent as much on signs as on the path.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have slow gradual climb, then a nice winding downhill into a broad valley full of agriculture. Across the valley there is another ridge and we can see the town of Montescaglioso that we have to climb up to. It is a long steady climb in which we gain about 300 meters. Almost at the top we stop for coffee, then one more push to the high point and an immediate downhill into the next valley. 

Spot the cyclist
Heart 5 Comment 0
RWGPS takes on this section of old road
Heart 2 Comment 0
But for not very far when it ends here and back to the main road
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop for a food break before making our way across the valley and then up to Montescaglioso in the distant hill top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Direction back where we came from today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have just climbed up the switchbacks of the old road to this point. The new road that was being built is the steep incline on the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As seen in the 2019 Anderson's journal.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice to see the paint’s holding up well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We stop for a coffee, and in the parking lot is this machine. Patrick is already figuring out how he needs one of these.
Heart 2 Comment 0

First we pass through forests, then into beautiful fields of wildflowers. The road skirts a National Park and starts to climb again to Matera. We can see it from afar, but have to work to get there. Right at noon we arrive near the downtown area and stop at a bakery for a sandwich and cold drink. We contact our host who is available to check us in immediately. Except the apartment is at the top of another hill so it takes us a little bit to get there. at

Matera on the distant hilltop
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Through the town of Montescaglioso, RWGPS takes us up this short 16% grade hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Matera on the distant hilltop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice macro of bladder campion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_vulgaris
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist on the downhill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are close to where we will stay for the next two days. We stop for a panini and to notify owner we are in town. He will meet us at the apartment in 10 minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are happy we switched accommodation last night when the other host informed us he could not check us in until five. In twenty minutes we are installed, Lorenzo the host has a booklet of excellent information in Italian and English. He then reviews about what to do and see in Matera on the tourist map provided.  The unit is very nice with a balcony for the bikes. Lorenzo says some of the production team for a James Bond movie stayed in the 3 units of Cozy House.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Lorenzo of Cozy House
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lorenzo is super helpful and friendly to cyclist. He is reviewing what he suggests we do while we stay in Matera.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Patrick watches the SpaceX test launch of the Starship
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a store in the same building where we buy some prosciutto crudo, bread and beer for a nice lunch. In the afternoon we head out to explore the town a little bit. Lorenzo marked the three must-see viewpoints on our map and we are not disappointed. From the high vantage point we look out over the Sassi, the old part of town built into and against the walls of the ravines. On a peninsula stands the Duomo or cathedral. The light is perfect for some nice pictures.

We splurge on an all-you-can-eat sushi dinner and make sure we get our money’s worth.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Italian parking
Heart 1 Comment 0
Italian cuisine is great, but we like variety of foods
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,267 km (1,408 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0