Day 65: Rest Day in Matera - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2023

Day 65: Rest Day in Matera

Visiting Sassi de Matera

From an article Once the shame of Italy: "Matera, in the Basilicata Region, lies in the arch of the boot of Italy and is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. People have lived in the caves (Sassi meaning stone) since the 10th millennium BC – over 18,000 years since the Paleolithic era.

The city is divided by a ravine cut by the Gravina River far below. On one side lies empty ancient caves, on the other, a labyrinth of caves and churches seemingly built on top of itself. Apparently, only about 30% of the city is visible. The rest lies within the deep dark caverns. Contained within is an Archeologist’s dream: hundreds of millennium-old churches, frescos, and thousands of artifacts date it back to the earliest known civilizations. But the cultural history is more recent with many inhabitants living in the same fashion as they have for thousands of years."

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

To understand the history of Matera, Lorenzo recommends starting with a visit to Casa Noha to the right of the Duomo Cathedral and through the arch. This traditional Sassi residence built between the 15th and 16th century was donated to an organization to preserve the history.  Movies are shown on the white walls telling the history of Matera. At one time in history there was a balance of population, economic development and agriculture. Through time this balance changed destroying the middle class and poverty ensued. As recent as 1945, people were still living in caves.  Then people not the poverty that is to blame for the conditions and became the "Once the Shame of Italy". 

We stroll through the streets on the way to Casa Noha and stop to see the Palombaro Lungo, the biggest cistern in town for collecting water. This is a 16th century man-made excavation enlarged over the centuries, caves first used as wine cellars, snow-houses, tanneries eventually merged into a larger cave to be used as a public water cistern.

In the cisterns under the main plaza.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

At one of the viewpoints 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We make our way through the alleys and stairs of the Sassi towards the Cathedral.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
What is this? We have our thoughts about it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We pay the fee to go into the Duomo Cathedral

In the Cathedral annex the loot stolen from the poor is displayed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arcangel David, carved in wood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A booby in a Catholic Church!!!!! Call Ron DeSantis!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Lucy MartinPaging Potter Stewart
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we continue the stroll taking lots of pictures

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

In the Chiesa Del Purgatorio we take a look inside and see more current artwork by Andrea Roggi Terra Mater (Earth and Heaven). Maestro Roggi and his team invented a new casting technique called dynamic casting.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lots of hidden churches

Heart 2 Comment 0

We rest during the afternoon, then venture out later to the tree viewing points Lorenzo recommended to see the lights of the Matera.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Earlier on our way back to our apartment, we stop at the Self Serve food place also recommended by Lorenzo, for two dishes that we reheat for dinner.

The plan for tomorrow is check out later than we usually do because we are meeting the Anderson's at a junction at 1:30pm. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0