Day 61: Cosenza to Spezzano Albanese - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2023

Day 61: Cosenza to Spezzano Albanese

Getting there before the Rain

“In one of the reviews for this hotel, bacon and eggs as part of their breakfast buffet was mentioned, that’s why I booked here,” Patrick says. “Bacon… it’s so nice to have bacon!” Rachel says chomping on a crispy thin slice of bacon. This is the best spread we’ve had for a breakfast in a long time!

We load our gear in the elevator, reload the bikes and we are off. The sun is shining, rain is in the forecast for the afternoon. Patrick navigates us out of the city, partly on a bike path. It takes quite a few kilometers before we lose most of the traffic. Eventually, the road becomes the frontage road to the interstate. We start musing about how cycle touring has changed over the years, and feel lucky to what we’ve been able to do before roads became so full of traffic. “Twenty years ago people used to be on mopeds or motorcycles and they are now in cars,” Patrick observes. Bikepacking does seem to be the solution to getting off the beaten track now.

Excuse the blurry picture, no flash, but this was in the lobby of the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

“Seems like there could be a scale 0 to 5 for mountain avoidance” Rachel jokes as we look at the snow covered mountains ahead that we are avoiding by our chosen route. And how planning a route used be from paper maps “the Michelin maps used to have arrows to indicate how steep a road would be,” was the only way to know what the elevation profile of the road. Our route today is fairly flat decline with one 200meter climb before continuing downward.

Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltJacaranda trees are spectacular!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacaranda_mimosifolia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe had never seen them this color.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

“Bonjourno” Patrick says entering the café. The couple behind the counter respond with enthusiasm, “Bon-JOUR-no”. Patrick orders two cappuccinos and two croissants. We get a choice of over a dozen fillings. The man is interested in Patrick’s bike and Patrick goes to show him about the frame. The man then goes to get the gas station attendant next door because he is also a cyclist. “Go figure, we meet some friendly Italians,” as we leave the café.

 Not far down the road is a Conad supermarket, we stop to pick up supplies for lunch. The road becomes a bit more rolling and we notice we are very briefly on the Ciclovia dei Parchi della Calabria that two different friends, Ewa and Bryan, and sent links to us.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierThat's a happy guy right there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The choice of fillings for the croissants
Heart 2 Comment 2
Frosene SaccoWhat fillings did you choose? How fantastic!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We reach the decision point where the hill starts, to take the smaller road that RidewithGps suggests or stay on the main road that looks like the gradient might be less because of a switchback. We go for the smaller road with beautiful views. At one corner, Rachel is ahead and 3 barking dogs come out from a yard. One of the bigger dogs grabs onto one of her back panniers and spins her around. “Lucky the dog didn’t grab my calf,” she says when Patrick catches up.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonHow scary having the dog grab your bag, I’m glad you didn’t have an accident. I’m constantly on the lookout for loose dogs after Scott got attacked by a dog!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 4
Rachel and Patrick HugensThank you Bill! We were wondering what those plants were.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe giant fennel?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6774&taxon_id=333677
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Rachel and Patrick HugensMe too... Finally stumbled across it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tarsi in the distance
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
"We would still be down there," Patrick says. The main road below still following the valley. Both roads meet at the same place.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
We still have some climbing to do through the town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The climb goes well until we reach the town of Tarsi. The route goes through the town, with one road we have to push our bikes up at least 12% grade. We still have more of a climb above the town, but finally reach the high point. “I thought we are being robbed of a downhill,” Rachel says “The road surface is so bad.”  As we descended sections improved.

 

Heart 0 Comment 2
Rachel and Patrick HugensI could not help but notice the tissue on the ground.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Frosene SaccoTo Rachel and Patrick HugensTissue issues! Lol....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The downhill is just around the curve in the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The final stretch to the Hotel San Francesco Terme the road has a bit of a shoulder. We see threatening clouds in the distance, “Think we’ll make it before the rain starts?” Rachel says, and we do. We check in, the hotel has an elevator for our gear, once in the room Patrick sets off to a supermarket 2km away and comes back with beer and wine and food supplies for tomorrow’s ride.

"This wasn't me," Rachel says
Heart 3 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat's one way to lighten the load on your bike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
petra HugensThat,s too bad. Such a beautiful area destroyed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensJust about every dead-end road or hidden pull-out is used to dump trash. Dumping it legally at the city dump must be expensive of difficult.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

The rest of the afternoon, Patrick live streams the SpaceX starship launch, disappointing that at the last few minutes the launch is scrubbed because of a stuck valve. We watch from our balcony window the clouds build and occasional sprinkle and happy to be inside.

 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,087 km (1,296 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonThat’s scary about the dog! Good thing he grabbed your pannier and not your calf.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Frosene SaccoYeah, dog surprises are no fun. Glad you were ok.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful area to ride! You’re photos are beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago