Day 40: Tetouan to Fnideq - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2023

Day 40: Tetouan to Fnideq

Cycling along the Mediterranean Sea

“I smell birdsh*t,” Patrick says and then we see the rookery of birds. Birds everywhere and one of those moments that we appreciate that we are on the bikes to be able to stop and take pictures.

We start the day with a nice breakfast of egg and bread and a strong cup of café au lait. We love hotels with elevators, the next best thing to a room that a fully loaded bike can be rolled directly into. We get gear and bikes loaded and set off ignoring the one way street signs to get to the main road out of town. Traffic is heavy but we keep up with the flow following the boulevard of streetlights.

The streetlights continue for 7km to the edge of the city and into the suburbs. At 18km the streetlight design changes and we have a designated bike path all the way to Fnideq. There is only one section that we would call a hill, then flattens a bit and along the coast. Then the road becomes a typical coastal road with rolling ups and downs. 

The long boulevard of streetlights
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 14 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 11 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWow, what a beautiful bird!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachael AndersonIt sure is. It’s a glossy ibis, a bird we don’t have in America.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 12 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Mediterranean Sea is a beautiful blue and there is a long promenade along the beaches. This whole stretch is one long beach front of hotels and condominium developments. We even pass an amusement park. We reach Fnideq.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

 “I think I didn’t pick the hotel so well, right next to the mosque,” Patrick says as we pass the mosque and find the hotel right behind it. This is why we are carrying lots of earplugs.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We settle in and clean up before venturing out for supplies for the next few days and wander around the souk markets. Our plan is to try and find seafood tonight. Inshallah.

 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nutella is everywhere....and there's even Friskies for the kitties
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,443 km (896 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice bird pictures!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago