Day 41: Fnideq to Tanger Med - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2023

Day 41: Fnideq to Tanger Med

Final cycling day in Morocco

Well, no fish supper was to be had in Fnideq. 

We walk to the recommended restaurant and it is closed. We walk to the second recommended restaurant it is also closed. As we walk by a café for the second time a man comes out of one of the few open café (only tea or coffee or pastry). He is a taxi driver and insists to drive us for free to an open restaurant. It is supposed to be like one of the restaurants that is closed. 

Except it has no fish.

Other people that had fish brought the fish themselves from the market. They do have soup and a plate of thinly sliced chicken with salads and fries. Not bad, but we are really ready for something different. We take a taxi back to the hotel and have one more mint tea before we call it a day.

We wake to a cloudy sky and a light breeze. We set off after a breakfast in our room of yogurt, banana and granola. Mostly only the street sweepers are out and about. It is amazing to see the amount of effort in keeping the city streets clean while the countryside is littered with trash. 

"I think the wind likes the promise of a good beer in Barcelona," Rachel says as the strong wind helps us up the final steep hill to Tanger Med. For 6 weeks, we've not had any drinks of alcohol, breaking our tradition of giving a toast "to the wind" at the end of the day.

The wind isn't always helpful, a strong crosswind makes it difficult for Rachel to ride in a straight line. We are happy that it is not too hot, the long 8km climb at the beginning would have been more difficult with the heat. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing away from Fnideq we get a better view of Ceuta, de Spanish enclave on the African continent.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have to gain about 400 meters altitude over 8 kilometers.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonUgh. And without a beer in six weeks! Brutal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The fence around Ceuta to keep undesirable human beings out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cresting the first hill.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rock Rose
Heart 7 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like some species of rock rose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistus
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Andrea BrownWow! Cistus in the wild, how cool!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have great views when the wind allows us to appreciate. At one point, we stop for a picture of looking across the straits to Spain. We see the Rock of Gibraltar. Thirty years ago we were on the other side looking back to Africa after cycling Capetown to Nairobi. 

We can see across the Strait of Gibraltar to Spain.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tanger Med, the port of Tangiers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the straits to Spain. Thirty years ago we were on the other side looking back to Africa.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Lori LewisLittle did you realize then the adventures that you would have! How lucky you were to find each other that day in New Zealand. Since I've come to believe that there is no such thing as coincidence, it must have been fate 🥰
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Lori LewisWhen I started my ride in new zealand I was reading the Celestine prophesy....and intriguingly I would meet people and think there must be a reason that we meet. The best example is a bit off the wall, but in a Sunday paper there are advertisements for appliances every Sunday. Its only when the refrigerator breaks and you need a new one do you see all the advertisements for refrigerators....only when its in our consciousness do we see and then we call it a coincidence.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThat shot looking across from Gibraltar is one of our all time favorite cycling photos.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gibraltar
Heart 7 Comment 2
Susan CarpenterI also spotted Gibraltar under the low lying clouds looking south on my way to Jimena de la Frontera - I must have been looking right at you! Congrats on completing the Morocco leg of your tour!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Susan CarpenterFun, love your pictures. We take the ferry today and in a day, a good draft beer
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We see the ports, and Patrick navigates us to the hotel. We follow the “panoramic view” to the Hotel Onomo. It is located at the far end of a long building that houses offices. It is a modern western style hotel at western prices. We are disappointed to hear the restaurants hotel will not be open today for dinner, only breakfast tomorrow morning. In the middle of the port building are some small restaurants, we’ll hope to find some food there tonight. 

The room is spacious that will help with us being able to repack for the ferry. We'll pack so only a couple of pannier bags will be needed in the cabin.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,469 km (912 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Lori LewisI love being able to follow almost in real time your adventure. I wake up in the morning and over coffee in bed (that Ilya has nicely brought me) I can read what you have done and given the time difference it's the same day! You are so dedicated to post each day and I'm sure all of us followers appreciate that 😀
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonCongratulations! You made it to the next part of your tour!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Andrea BrownWell, I'd never considered riding in Morocco until this journal. Thank you for the inspiration (and daydreaming).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonAn awesome accomplishment. Thanks for taking us there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago