Hike to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2022

Hike to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie

Last night at supper we made a general plan for a hike to Saint-Cirq-lapopie.  It's such fun to be with fellow cycle touring aficionados that we prolonged breakfast with lively discussion and many coffees before eventually hitting the trail around 10am.  

The 5km trail follows the river through field and forest, but the best part is the tow path carved out of the rock.  This being France, there were art installations along the way, including an incredible frieze carved into the rock at one of the most enclosed sections.   I had to be aware and not step back too far to get a better photo or I'd be in the river.  

Saint-Cirq is designated one of the prettiest towns in France, with good reason.  With origins dating back to the Middle Ages, the settlement is spread along a hillside and very well preserved and maintained.  We ambled up the main path-street, stopping to take photos at every corner.  We eventually made it to the top for beautiful views up and down the Lot valley and then sat at a courtyard to eat sandwiches and ice creams.

Team Anderson had plotted a high route back along the cliff top and lucky they had loaded onto GPS as it was not intuitive to follow so we would have taken a few wrong turns.

We all ate at the hotel a second night and again the time flew by as we talked bicycling and life, bicycling and politics, bicycling and family, bicycling and so much else.  It has been a delightful interlude to spend a few days with Susan and the Andersons.

Stonehenge sur la Lot?
Heart 7 Comment 0
Rachel, Susan and Ann on the path to Saint-Cirq
Heart 10 Comment 1
Under the cliff the towpath was carved out of the rock. We are often amazed at the amount work that must have been dedicated to building such things hundreds of years ago with much more primitive techniques and tools.
Heart 13 Comment 0
The frieze is a recent carving.
Heart 12 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 11 Comment 1
Michael JamesAbsolutely stunning photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Approaching the base of Saint-Cirq.
Heart 10 Comment 0
The Main Street or path of Saint-Cirq
Heart 10 Comment 0
Contemplating tomorrow's ride?
Heart 8 Comment 0
The jumbled patterns, shapes and colours of the townscape.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lot valley upstream.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Downstream back toward Bouzies
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Five bikes on the wall; souvenirs of a fabulous get-together.
Heart 12 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 1,008 km (626 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGreat photos! We had a wonderful time visiting with you and look forward to meeting you again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonWonderful that you could get together, and perfect surroundings, too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierFantastic! You all look great and happy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago