Trip plan - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

Trip plan

Are you serious?  Those are real mountains and you are thinking of riding your bicycles?  

Yes, people have questioned our sanity, but Mallorca pumped us up with extra bravado and we really did love the feeling of making it to the top, so we are going give the "haute route" a try.  But, not to worry, our planned itinerary also includes plenty of cycling at reasonable altitudes.

As the summer winds down in Montreal we are in the final throes of saying our good-byes, packing up and mentally preparing to get back on the saddle for a two month tour.  The itinerary looks like this:

Start in Barcelona where our bikes and gear are stored and warm up with a week or so along the Coast Brava.  

Then into Girona and make our way through the Spanish foothills to Vielha. 

By week 3 we will need to have muscles and callouses in all the right places, because then we cross into France and over a series of high passes ending in Laruns.

I can already imagine the relaxing, week-long ride down and north to the Lot valley and then into Cahors.

Everything we read says that part of France is delightful so we should have no trouble finding routes to meander about until we end up in Toulouse at the end of October.

Departure from Montreal September 5th.  

Already we are thankful to all the bloggers who have gone before us and described their journey, giving us invaluable information about the countryside that awaits.  We will be glad to add our adventures to the collection and look forward to hearing from readers.

Spain route
Heart 0 Comment 0
France route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Scott AndersonI love the look of your route through the Pyrenees. I’d love to bike the eastern Spanish side again - actually though I’d be happy to see any part of the Pyrenees. You can’t go wrong.

And Cahors in mid-October! A nice enough place, but also interesting because we’re booked for three nights in Bouzies (just 17 miles up the Lot from Cahors) from 10/10-12. We might keep on each others’ radar this fall and see if we’re ever in the vicinity of each other.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Suzanne GibsonLooking forward to reading about your trip to the Black Forest with Susan as well. Happy Trails!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonSounds like a great tour!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonScott and Rachel
We would love to meet up with you. Sounds like our schedules are lining up perfectly. We hope it works out! Let’s connect again as we get closer to the dates.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodLooking forward to following along. Always appreciate the great pictures and prose in your jounals. This area is also very high on our ‘next big tour’ list and it’s always nice to have a trail ‘blazed’ for you beforehand. Safe and splendid pedalling!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersLooks like you have a great trip planned and lots to look forward to. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraSusanna and I are looking forward to following along. The region of the Pyrenees around Laruns is stunning!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo David MathersThanks David, this CycleBlaze family is great. I saw you on the Classen's new blog! I'm excited to see that they will be doing a lot of what we did in the spring. Lots of connections through the blogs.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Lyle McLeodThanks Lyle, I also enjoy reading Kirsten and your blogs. Looking forward to seeing what you might be planning......
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonThanks, hope we are able to meet in France!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Patrick O'HaraHi Patrick and Suzanna
Have enjoyed reading your blogs. Just went back to read your summer 2019 of the Pyrenees - Bedous--A ride up to Lescun and hike to Lac Lahrs Wow! Will see if we make it there. We were planning to head down to Laruns but maybe we will have to do the Apse valley. It all looks so beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelsey MacdonaldLooking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo ann and steve maher-wearyThat would be great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago