Travel day Montreal to Tossa - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2022 to September 6, 2022

Travel day Montreal to Tossa

A big travel day:  We left Montreal, flew to Barcelona, trained to Blanes and cycled to Tossa.  

As this is a cycling blog, we'll start with the cycling portion of the day. 

At long last we pulled into Blanes station, hauled the bikes down and then were presented with one more challenge: we knew enough to keep our train tickets to exit, but the one gate wide enough for loaded bicycles would not accept our tickets and open up.  Try and try again, wait for the innumerable large ladies with masses of luggage going through the other way out to the train, try to catch the eye of the RENFE attendant who seems to be helping everyone else, and then, for no reason I can see, the gate suddenly accepts the ticket, turns green, opens up and Steven is out on the street.  I turn around and see Ann starting the same process so I find a shady spot to wait.

To be honest, we were not looking forward to the ride to Tossa, at 32°C, all those hills,  after a long flight, but in the end we were glad to have had a workout, albeit not too strenuous at only 19km and 270m of climbing.  The route is quite nice with lovely coastal and mountain scenery, wide shoulders, not too much traffic and smooth pavement for most of the distance and the towns along the way busy enough with tourists to be interesting.  It took much longer than we expected (we are not yet accustomed to hills and luggage) and so we will explore the town of Tossa tomorrow as tonight on arrival, we could barely focus on getting some food and settling in.

The flight over was fine, and while it is good for business that people are travelling again, we did miss the empty airports, planes and destinations that we now know were a special part of COVID times.  However, we are glad to have learned about storing the bikes and gear at our last destination as travelling with only hand luggage is a breeze.

Having visited Barcelona in the Spring, we had decided to get right out of the city on the first day.  Barcelona was HOT, but everything went according to plan: touchdown at 11:30am, train from airport to Sants station, find a small mobile phone shop and get our Spanish SIM cards recharged on the way to the storage locker, retrieve our bikes, change into shorts, cycle back to Sants to get the train to Blanes.  We boarded at Sants at 3:30pm, only because it was close to the storage locker, but we were so glad to have started there where it was easy enough to get on with the bikes.  At the next few stations, the train quickly filled and we were pressed into the back of the car by ever more people until I felt I was riding the Cairo metro!  Somehow we thought the trip would take about 40 minutes, but it was almost two hours before we got to Blanes and could stretch our legs.

Go back to top.

Out of storage and on the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Costa Brava
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coming into Tossa de Mar as the sun is going down at 7:30pm.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kelly MaherFinally getting to relax today and read your blog, looks like a wonderful itinerary, enjoy it all!💕
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 20 km (12 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Scott AndersonI can’t believe you planned this for the day you arrived. Glad it worked out!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWow! In the distant past we would bicycle from the airport immediately after landing but not anymore. Kudos! Have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenVery impressive transition from flight to bike! Looking forward to following your ride in the Pyrenees! We are in Lisbon riding south and will be referencing your blog of your ride from Lisbon to Barcelona.
We have not made firm plans as to our route and our final destination but will more or less follow the Eurovelo 1 initially. Sure nice to be part of this cycleblaze community to share our experiences! Safe riding!
Keith and Kathleen
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetIt must be so much easier starting from Montréal instead of the west coast! Or maybe you just make it look that way...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersBig day with Big rewards! Love Tossa De Mar and the Costa Brava. Take your time and enjoy because it goes by too fast!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Keith ClassenHi Keith and Kathleen
We look forward to reading your blog too, to see what routes you take. Yes having this community to share ideas and stories is great.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jacquie GaudetRead your blog about your solo trip thru the Pyrenees! What a trip you had! We took notes!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jim HathewayLooks wonderful Ann and Steve - we will be keeping an eye on the blog as you continue your journey - safe travels .......Jim and Katherine
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Geoff ThieleThank you for sharing this excellent way to store your touring bikes in Europe - I have been wondering how that could be done. Also enjoyed reading your journals for your 2 trips this year. We rode many of the same areas in Sept/Oct 2021 and 2022. After a house exchange in Rennes, we had intended to ride the Pyrenees West to East but when the forecast looked poor we hopped a plane to the Balearics from Nantes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Geoff
Thanks for reading and commenting on our trip blogs. Having cycled many of the same areas, I am sure you will agree it is beautiful countryside. We too will be interested in a house exchange. Perhaps in France too or Italy. We shall see. It is a great way to make the trip interesting by spending more time in one place and more affordable.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago