Beach day in Tossa - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2022

Beach day in Tossa

Today we took a beach day and rested in the charming town of Tossa de Mar.  The day started right having slept through the night and hardly feeling jet-lagged, which I attribute to pushing through yesterday afternoon and the bike ride to get here.

Our first stop was the tourist bureau where the lady made sure we knew the town name is pronounced Toe-Shea, not the vulgar British insult we had been using, and then gave us maps and pamphlets of the main attractions.  Our focus was on two, maybe three: the beach and the castle (now a lighthouse) which includes walking through the old town.  (Note the photos have the same narrow focus.)

The beach is gorgeous; we swam in the clear, warm, Mediterranean waters, once after our first walk up to the castle in the morning and then again in the afternoon after the heat had abated.  Neither of us have much patience for laying and tanning on a beach, but we enjoyed drying off in the sun and watching the diverse parade of humanity for at least 20 minutes.

The walk up to the castle affords lovely views of the town, harbour and sea, and just in case we were not sure, reminded us that we were definitely back in Spain.  The well-preserved monuments originating from 1100s and modified many times since, the warm stone and narrow lanes, the flowering plants, the bright sun and shimmering sea are how we think of this beautiful country.  And the people- looking slightly elegant in their perfectly fitted, casual summer outfits, strolling along the pathways, taking photos among the ruins, but mostly eating, drinking, smoking and looking suave in the multitude of restaurants and cafes that spill out onto the lanes.

Today confirmed our notion that beaches are a good place to start this tour, so we have planned out the next week of short rides between resort towns along the Costa Brava.  Maybe we will even learn to love sun-tanning!

Beach in the morning
Heart 6 Comment 2
Sally MaherWow..So beautiful
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Sally MaherThanks for reading and sending us a note. You know beaches like the DR. I’m sure you would like the ones here on the Costa Brava.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In the afternoon
Heart 5 Comment 0
Afternoon swim
Heart 2 Comment 0
Watching for what?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kelly MaherBeautiful spot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks Kel for reading the blog and for commenting! Fun to be where Kelsey and Andy were a week ahead of us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Walking down from the castle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lighthouse on top of the castle hill.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The castle and fortified old town from the beach.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Diana, an Art Deco home, now a hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What's left of the Sant Vincens church
Heart 3 Comment 0
Young daredevil posing
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking towards town in the late afternoon light.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rachael AndersonIsn’t Tossa Del Mar wonderful! Great photos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraGreat photos. Looking forward to exploring this part of Spain in the future! Maybe next year!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonThanks, it's such a photogenic spot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Patrick O'HaraI am sure you will love it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonI love this place. Nice to know I’ve been mispronouncing it all these years!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago