Tossa de Mar to Palamos - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

Tossa de Mar to Palamos

The first half of today's ride from Tossa to Sant Feliu de Guixols was a snaking road that hugs the coast for 21 hilly kms.  We set the alarm early to beat the heat and hopefully the traffic and we were rewarded with almost empty roads for the first hour, wispy cloud cover and incredible vistas.  I counted 41 cyclists, most of whom flew by us but at pull-over spots we chatted with a doctor from Slovenia who was in Barcelona for a conference and squeezed in a couple of extra days to ride, as well as an American training for a triathlon.  He told us that this area, with it's warm waters and steep hills, is known as a great training destination.  We took our time enjoying the spectacular views down to the coves and hidden beaches below.  The water was so clear we could see the rocks on the bottom from a 100 meters up.  Other Cycleblazers had told us that this section of our route would be memorable and we weren't disappointed.  It is definitely on our top ten list!

We cruised into Sant Feliu de Guixols and stopped at their gorgeous beach for a snack before continuing on the last 12km to Palamos.  This section is lined with resorts, chain restaurants, shops and lots of tourists flowing from one beach into the next.  The traffic is hectic but after the serenity of the first part of the ride it was fun to see happening beach towns.  We detoured down to look at the long broad Platja D'Aro, but in the end decided not to swim.  The last stretch we cruised on a dedicated cycle path,  checked into our hotel early and by 1:30 were showered and hungry.  Just down the boardwalk there was a  cute restaurant where we snagged the last beachfront table and tucked into full Platas del dia.  

After such a decadent lunch, (yes, vino was included) we had to go for a swim, which invigorated us temporarily before we succumbed to the jet lag and waddled back to the hotel for a nap.  Supper was a modest affair of grocery store salads, bread and cheese, served up on our balcony in the tropical night air which led to much appreciation of the fact that we are here, in Spain and cycling through unimaginable beauty.

Looking back to Tossa
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
No traffic in the morning
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Only one short tunnel.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jane KyleLooks amazing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sea view lunch
Heart 5 Comment 0
The beach south of Palamos
Heart 3 Comment 0
Traditional fishing boats seem so small
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 54 km (34 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 8
David MathersBeautiful. We could do that ride again and again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonI can’t believe we were here just six months ago. I’m ready to go back already.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyFabulous ride. We are glad to be following in your footsteps.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyDavid we are soon heading to Girona and will be re-reading your blog for ideas. Thanks
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleJust noticed you are back touring! Looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickWe are also late catching up on your newest adventure. What an exciting start to your trip. You are looking like seasoned cycle touring veterans now. Pat and I are in the packing stage now and will be leaving on Monday. Details will follow shortly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott FenwickHi Scott and Pat
Yes it’s great to be back in the saddle. Looking forward to seeing where you are heading. Safe travels on your flight over!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago