Riding Through the Parks - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

December 28, 2018

Riding Through the Parks

Bastrop to LaGrange

Today we were very excited to be able to ride on the park roads through Bastrop and Buescher State Parks. You have to stop at Headquarters and the gal broke our hearts telling us the road was closed due to the river running over it! She said we could ride up to the barracade and then we would have to turn right and ride out to Highway 71. We rode out and took a wrong turn and had to head back to the office to get more information. I got myself oriented and asked about a way to get back onto the park road so we could ride through Buescher SP. She couldn't think of one so I pulled up Google and found something and she said oh yes, that would work!

So off we rode and it was AWESOME riding along the park road. Since the road was closed there wasn't any traffic!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Idyllic!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A huge fire swept through the park in 2011 and it is slowly recovering.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode up to the overlook and met some very sweet people.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking out over the Overlook
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of climbing in Bastrop
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very pretty
Heart 2 Comment 0
We came to the barricade and gee it didn't look any deeper than what we've already gone through. Step rode right through but Emmy and I took off our socks and walked the bikes through. Yea! We could keep riding through the park!
Heart 2 Comment 0
You could tell it had been much worse by all the mud but it was very doable on bikes to cross through the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loblolly Pines are coming back. Many were destroyed in the fire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It ended way too soon. Such a fun ride. Lots of tough rollers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
By the time we got to Winchester, we were pretty hungry and I noticed a steak house on the map. We found it and it was packed buy people were leaving as we arrived and were locking up the bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was a big place and we had plenty to eat. Enough to take with us and have for dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We still had some miles to go to LaGrange and it was on quiet back roads. Free range chickens!
Heart 2 Comment 0
I better grab a picture of an oil rig before we leave Texas!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,379 miles (5,438 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0