Finding the Small Roads: Peschiera to Verona - Cycle Tour in the Po Valley - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2012

Finding the Small Roads: Peschiera to Verona

We now set out for the last day on our bikes.

Our hotel on the outskirts of Peschiera - comfortable, but not beautiful, at a moderate price
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we leave Peschiera, a last look at the walls surrounding the town
Heart 0 Comment 0

To avoid the roads where I expected fast and heavy traffic, I had carefully worked out a route. Most of it guided us nicely on small roads, however at one point we found ourselves on a dead-end, had to backtrack and ride a short and unpleasant distance on a fast highway. I had overlooked that the road I chose didn't cross the train tracks. That was really the only excitement on the otherwise enjoyable ride.

A few hills on our route, vineyards and poppies
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI always love seeing the poppies!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wine country
Heart 1 Comment 0

Hotel Martini was a good choice. We could check in well before noon, and although the room wasn't ready they provided storage space for our bags and a safe garage for the bicycles. We then hoofed it to the train station and got the next train to Mantua to recover our passports. We hadn't worried that they might be gone or lost or stolen, as that seemed rather improbable, but we were still relieved when we finally held them in our hands.

In Mantua, waiting for the train back to Verona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the newest trains on this line
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, yea, that train looks like it's from the 1960s!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Back in Verona, we left our bicycles where they were and walked into town for dinner.

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 412 km (256 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0