Porto Covo - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2022

Porto Covo

The Right Decision and a Lazy Day

Staying put was the right decision. The slow show continues and we are really enjoying it. We will probably only go as far as Milafontes tomorrow, simply because we really want to take our time. Perhaps the continuing head wind and rain forecast are factoring into that too!  Here is a screen shot from the Portugal News. 

Given this article in the Portuguese News…
Heart 1 Comment 0
Isn’t this what you would choose?
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is gorgeous here and we are being pampered.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We started out this morning with a superb breakfast. A ten jammer in my opinion but the CN wasn’t so sure. I tried to get him to tell me what was missing. There was a fabulous setting, mimosas, more breads and pastries than I could count, six jams, honeycomb, cappuccinos, eggs, cheeses and I could go on. Even baked beans for the British. I found it superb. We joined Marco and Danielle for coffee and conversation. It was a treat. 



Looks pretty amazing in my opinion.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Beth ArtI think the array of milks is amazing. Is that 5 I can see? Maybe there will have to be a new breakfast scoring system based on the number of types of milk rather than jams.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was five milks! This morning I took a careful look. Regular milk, skim milk, lactose free milk, soy milk and almond milk. Maybe Keith was hesitant about the ten jammer designation because there was no oat milk?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Then came the desire to earn that breakfast, post consumption. We hiked south along the waterfront into the wind. We both eventually ditched our hats as it was a pain to walk holding onto them at all times. This coast is truly amazing. So accessible, although right off the bat the CN wanted me to scramble down rocks and a sketchy ladder. He got a hard no on that one. Heights are not my friend. I took the lovely staircase instead and he came to see the wisdom of my ways. 

I wasn’t following him there, but was happy to take his picture.
Heart 4 Comment 0


The crazy thing about this weather is it is delightfully warm. We hiked in tee shirts and never felt a need to pull the jackets out of the backpack. Even when being practically blown off a cliff by the wind. There hadn’t been any rain this morning, but in the early afternoon when it began to lightly sprinkle we used that as an excuse to head back to our beautiful room. 

Porto Covo is small and beautiful. It was formerly a fishing village, but now tourism is the main economic driver. There are so many intimate little beaches with long staircases down to the water. These coves are well protected from the wind and even today there were people sunbathing. A bit wild to go in the water though. 



Note the different skies in these pictures. It was a wait five minutes and the weather will change kind of a day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking down at one of the secluded coves.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLots of ice plant!

https://invasoras.pt/en/invasive-plant/carpobrotus-edulis
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Note the wide legged stance. I was a bit worried about being blown over. I had also foolishly put my hat back on to try and keep my hair out of my eyes. It was an exhilarating day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBlue morning glories are pretty... invasive in Portugal.

https://invasoras.pt/en/invasive-plant/ipomoea-indica
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenThanks Bill … yes they are pretty!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago


Once back in the room there was a real cloudburst, which lasted all of five minutes. After that came a lovely interlude. 

This was divine, although truth in reporting, the CN slept through most of it on his lounge chair. He did get this picture first. The pool is enclosed by the building on three sides, with houses to the south, so well protected from the wind.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then came our hike to the north. We took so many pictures and then, of course, it becomes almost impossible to choose. The wind made the waves and the sound mesmerizing. I could watch and listen all day. 

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This bird (and companions) were a bit of a surprise to me on the walk. Keith had seen them yesterday on the way in, when I was completely focused on his Keith’s rear wheel. Drafting requires concentration.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here are a couple of his buddies.
Heart 2 Comment 0


Back to the room, some recommendations for restaurants from the front desk and out to dinner. We are riding tomorrow and will see how far we get. There are lots of options down the road. 

We have been able to eat outside for every meal. It is so nice to be able to do, especially in these odd times.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A Relive of our beautiful walks:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vevWQMAN7G6

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonAmazing photos! The hikes you took were great. Hiking is much better than cycling on very windy, stormy days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt really is. We are bit astonished at how little distance we have covered this tour, but not too worried about it. This is a gorgeous coast and we are taking the time to savour it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago