Porto Covo to Vila de Milfontes - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2022

Porto Covo to Vila de Milfontes

The Slow Show Continues

We aren’t exactly pulling long days, are we?   There was a great debate this morning about weather (I mean whether) we would leave at all. First though, there was that breakfast. The chief photographer took a few more photos today. 

Six jams, plus the jelly sort of thing is marmalade, then there are the two kinds of honey and the fresh fruit.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Baked goods, anyone? There were also a number of cereals and muesli, the champagne for mimosas, the multiple fruit juices…for breakfast lovers like ourselves this was a treat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cheeses and meats and yogurt. Three kinds of eggs, sausages, bacon, pancakes and more in the background.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Whole milk, skim milk, lactose free milk, soy milk and almond milk. That about covers it.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe think this breakfast needs an expanded scale, instead of a 10 jammer this one deserves at least a 12, maybe even a 14?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

While we were enjoying this breakfast abundance, there was a monsoon happening outside. We aren’t afraid to ride in the rain, but this was looking more than a little alarming. So we decided to stay another night. We kept obsessively checking our weather apps though, and heading out to our balcony and the front of the hotel. Is anyone else like me?   if you don’t like what you see on one weather app, try another one until you find something closer to what you want?

Not looking good, is it?
Heart 5 Comment 4
Kathleen ClassenWe couldn’t believe it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beth ArtThat sounds like one of our cats. He was quite convinced if we let him out a different door or window from the house he would eventually find the one that led to sunshine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenA wonderful analogy🤣!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Check out wasn’t until noon though, and things were gradually improving. At 11 AM we were definitely staying after another outdoor check, and at 11:30 we were definitely going!   The wind was manageable, still blowing from the south, but according to our weather apps, at a more reasonable 20 to 30 kph. We have the RJ rule, developed by our friend Ron. When in doubt, go. Nine times out of ten you will be glad you did, and the tenth time you will have a good story. 

The rain was letting up and we decided to take our chances.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heading for the CN’s shortcut.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Keith had a little shortcut planned. It was to save us four kilometres. Perhaps it did. All I know is that the next 8 km took us an hour. We were on a sandy track that may have been worse for all the rain, or may have been better. Which ever way that worked, it wasn’t a great surface. 

Every tour needs a river crossing or two, don’t you think?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Pushing my bike up the hill. I could barely manage. It is a beautiful setting though, isn’t it.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetI'm starting to think the CN (who might also be CP or Chief Photographer) sets these up on purpose!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenI was so busy hauling my bike up that steep hill that I didn’t notice the setting until I saw the picture. I should have stopped and looked back but I was afraid of I did I wouldn’t get going again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking back at Porto Covo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At least the sun was out here but the sand kept grabbing my rear tire.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I gamely followed the CN and once more adopted my bad a#$ old lady biker chick persona. The CN was merrily and happily biking on ahead. 

Can you see him in this picture? That white dot in the distance. He clearly wasn’t worried about me, which is a compliment, I think.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAnd why should he be? You’re obviously well able to fend for yourself. Congratulations on getting out today!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are glad we did, even if we didn’t get far. It is gorgeous here!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

When we came to a fork in the road, we had a choice and we chose the highway. We are so impressed with the Portuguese drivers. They have been so courteous and patient. There is no shoulder and several times today drivers had to wait to get by us safely, and they did. I always wave a thank you, and here is my favourite thing…they all wave back. It is lovely. It is also 28C. At some point on the highway I told Keith I was grateful for the head wind. It would have been pretty hot otherwise. We arrived in Vila de Milfontes and it is gorgeous.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Too nice not to explore. So we sat down for some lunch and checked online for hotels. Keith made a brilliant choice. Only eight rooms, beautiful balcony and in the heart of the old part of town. 

This little guy was adorable and clearly wants to bike tour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
That is our balcony up there.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We went to the restaurant our hotelier recommended and it looked amazing…but they couldn’t seat us until 10 PM. That wasn’t going to work!   The most magical thing happened though. We started chatting to the three people in front of us and they were on bikes. Also Canadian, from Quebec. It was just a great meet up. In case you ever want an amazing guide in Portugal, may I recommend Nicolas?

https://www.veloquebecvoyages.com/destination-Algarve

We wandered further with our three new friends, and finally we decided on dinner where we stopped for lunch. Except then we didn’t stay. Honestly, after 8 PM my appetite seems to disappear, so we bought a bottle of wine and went back to the room and snacked out of the feed bag. We were both quite pleased with this turn of events. 

We love this spot. If you ever find yourself in Mirafontes we recommend it. I just realized that the Port and cake on offer in the common room from 6 to 7 might explain the lack of appetite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We would like to promise that we will revert to form and put on some big kilometres tomorrow, but we aren’t going to. We have already decided to stay in Zambujeira do Mar which is only 26 kilometres away. This coast is too beautiful to rush!!!

https://www.relive.cc/view/vWqBg5L89Yv

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 286 km (178 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rachael AndersonYou are both are so tough and don’t seem to let anything bother you! What a great trait to have.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonIsn’t Milfontes spectacular though? That’s where we first hit the coast, and immediately fell in love with it. Zambujeira too. You’re doing the right thing going slow through here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt is so absolutely lovely. We cycled through to the look out when we first arrived and made an immediate decision to stay.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Doug TurnerI'm still looking at the breakfast spread from yesterday. Either there was no one else having breakfast or you were the 1st ones there? Glad to see that you are being well fed and having a great time. Wish we were there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Doug TurnerHi Doug - we went down for breakfast just after 8:00 to beat the rush! Since you and Liz enjoy hiking here’s a link to a site describing 750 km of hiking trails in the Alentejo and Algarve Regions also promoted for Mountain Bike riding. We are riding portions of it as we ride down the coast. It would be spectacular hiking. https://rotavicentina.com/en/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago