May 2, 2017 - Estoril to Lisboa: Into the city via the bike path along the estuary - A Dabble of the Douro then Leaning to Lisbon (Tour 17) - 2017 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2017

May 2, 2017 - Estoril to Lisboa: Into the city via the bike path along the estuary

Hotel: AS Lisboa

The bike path followed the Tagus estuary from Estoril right to Commercio Square. Lisboa, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

BITTERSWEET day warning ahead! Today is the final day of cycling though a beautiful route to soften the blow.

Another typical Portuguese breakfast, served by the same man who was here yesterday and again at the supper restaurant. I was anxious to get a pedalin'. Another perfectly blue, clear sky, about 20°C. What a fitting end-day weather for what has been almost perfection for two weeks.

Rolling down to the sea around 9 am we gloried in the beauty of the seaside. We ran into a Canadian couple from Vancouver Island who were just starting their cycling trip on a tandem. They said that this portion of the oceanside road is the busiest in Europe and I would believe it. The tip they suggested was to stay on the cycle and seaside path which was not on the road for the most part. Hey, if it works for them, it works for me!

As we got closer to Lisboa the pedestrian traffic increased, including all sorts of gawking tourists who could not figure out that the bicycle symbol on the path meant it was for bikes and the walking symbol on the path meant it was for pedestrians. Heavens to Murgatroyd.

Silly people aside, we approached the huge suspension bridge then arrived at what I consider the start of Lisboa. The Tower of Belem and then The Monument to Discovery. We paused for me to do a video to the kids then kept going til we finally arrived at Praça do Commercio.

Unlike two years ago, there were throngs of tourists everywhere. So busy, we just walked through the pedestrian area, through Rossio then over to Avenida Amirante des Reis and along to the hotel. It was about 30°C so we were hot and tired but so relieved to roll into the hotel with our bikes.

Just like two years ago, the hotel ushered us in and had the bikes tucked away into their storage room. The boxes were not yet here but after a few phone calls, Felipe had them delivered right to the door. I cannot say enough about Portuguese hospitality. Always willing and happy to help. With everything set, I can pack up the bikes first thing in the morning.

Supper. With a quick check online we found that the second most highly-rated restaurant in Lisbon was about 230 m away. Why not? It said it was usually busy, but being only 5 pm, there were tables available inside and outside. After taking an outdoor table, the place quickly filled up. When the owner couple came along with the menu and carefully went over every item to explain what it was, how it was made and where it came from. They try to source much of their ingredients from small countryside businesses. They take great pride in their restaurant, and explained that by taking the time with patrons to explain things, they get to know everyone on a more personal level. I have never heard of that level of service. After having our tapas dinner we thanked them for such a good meal, to which they both beamed with pride.

Though tired we walked through the Alameda park outside the hotel, taking photos of the illuminated fountain. Streets away from the park were becoming deserted so that ended that.

Pretty much the entire route from Estoril to Praça do Comércio was along a walking/cycling route thus avoiding the absolutely crazy traffic on the road.
- Estoril, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ponte 25 de Abril suspension bridge crosses the Tagus at the narrowest point. You can see it from many km away.
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Construction started in 1515 on the Torre de Belem to guard Lisbon. Also a stop on The Amazing Race 3.
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries) celebrates Portugal's worldwide discoveries and explorations.
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Praça do Comércio, the entrance to the city from the port on the Tagus... the tour has arrived!
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading up from the river to the hotel, we wondered what a pizza burguer kebab would taste like. - Lisboa, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ha Tapas no Mercado!!! has a perfect 5/5 on Tripadvisor. And no wonder with these owners who put their heart and soul into their work. Though I missed the perfect instant, I had just told them how much we enjoyed the meal and visit and asked them for a photo. He leaned over and gave his wife a smooch on the cheek, then they both beamed and giggled.
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alameda Park is just across the road from the AS Lisboa Hotel so a perfect spot for a picnic or gathering a few evening artsy photos, aka APs.
- Lisboa, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 410 km (255 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0