Tailwinds, Paparazzi and Velveeta! Snake Creek to Chamberlain, South Dakota - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2018

Tailwinds, Paparazzi and Velveeta! Snake Creek to Chamberlain, South Dakota

Road art
Heart 10 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesOh at last, a trike. ;-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnAnd a big one at that.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

The drunken Hoosiers actually quieted down last night by about 11:30 so we were able to sleep. I am realizing that these situations are probably just karma kicking my ass for past infractions. My buddies and I spent countless loud and unruly nights at the American Legion campground at the Lake of the Ozarks back in my younger days. But that was different, because we were charming  and witty. 

In any event we were able to get up early and take advantage of screaming tailwinds on our way to Chamberlain.

Heart 6 Comment 0
The giant and his giant tricycle
Heart 7 Comment 1
J. BurgraffThis photograph is a definite keeper.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Don't make this guy mad or he'll throw a round bale at you
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

This was one of the best riding days yet. No traffic, good roads, mild climbing and tailwinds. I took the helmet off in favor of the sun hat and put the earbuds in. We rode through a lot of the same type of open prairie and farmland that we've seen in the state, but at 10-15 miles an hour it held my interest. 

At one point Gay pointed out the skies darkening behind us, indicating potential storms, lightning and unpleasantness for three riders on an open road. We plugged along, enjoying the wind boost and excellent road surface, and arrived into Chamberlain at about 12:15. Just as we parked our bikes at the Anchor grill, a deluge started. Great timing. And our bikes were under an awning. We ate our food, loitered for awhile until the rain subsided and we began to leave.  Then we found ourselves involved in several conversations as people began asking about our ride. For about 10 minutes we were local celebrities. But, like Sean Penn, I quickly got frustrated with all of the paparazzi and punched an old woman in the face, subduing her immediately*. We escaped to our steel framed luxury bikes and moved towards the luxury hotel we chose for the night. 

*This statement has not been evaluated by anyone for veracity. Consider the source before trusting the statement.

Heart 5 Comment 0
The Belair had a cool neon sign but not much else
Heart 5 Comment 0

The Belaire was $66 and way over priced at that. Crappy bed, cramped room, carpet you don't want to walk barefoot on. But the people were nice. So there's that. Tomorrow, it's on to Fort Thompson, a short 27 mile day. 

The store had its very own Velveeta section! Finally!
Heart 7 Comment 3
Dee Fortethat's hilarious!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaVelveta, that is some middle America. Gross. But passable in a pinch.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaVelveeta is nature's perfect food.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Stats:

  • Miles- 47.5
  • Elevation gain- 2500
  • Average moving speed- 12.6

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 529 miles (851 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Andrea BrownWait. Did Sean Penn tell you about me?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownHaha! He and I haven't spoken in some time.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonI think there aren’t many feelings better than getting in dry before a storm.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago