Spoke'n Hostel, Mitchell Oregon- Rest day - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2018

Spoke'n Hostel, Mitchell Oregon- Rest day

Jen, me, Pat and Jalet
Heart 5 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnThat is an excellent picture of all
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We've been on the road for over 2 months and almost 2,000 miles and have experienced an incredible amount of unexpected hospitality. Spoke'n Hostel in Mitchell, OR is yet another example.

We knew the minute that we walked in that we wanted to stay an extra night. The space is beautiful, inviting, and exceeded any expectations we had of how the hostel might meet the needs of weary travelers. 

The common area downstairs
Heart 4 Comment 0
Shad and Jen
Heart 3 Comment 0

Lish, who has been helping Pat and Jalet (the owners), was here to greet us when we walked into the upstairs bunkroom/gathering area. She introduced us to Shad, who has also been on the road for a couple months and is on his way back to Boise. She then took us downstairs where our private room was. Beyond the room were a couple more cozy sitting areas, shelves full of games and books, a bin full of muscle rollers, a dining table, and a kitchen. Anything on the kitchen counter is available to guests: coffee, tea, pancake mix, cereal, oatmeal, and a variety of other foodstuffs left by other travelers. The kitchen is also available for guests to prepare their own meals.

The shower and back yard
Heart 3 Comment 0

Outside is the shower gazebo and several outdoor sitting/lounging areas, complete with hammocks, shade trees, and a little stream. One of my favorite outdoor features is the dual bucket clothes washer (see photos).
And in front of the main entrance there's also a bike repair stand and a giant water cooler with a can of Gatorade mix. 

Genius!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Dee Forteinteresting!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Pat and Jalet have not missed a single detail on what a travelling cyclist might need or want. What's even more amazing than the hundreds of details that instantly make Spoke'n feel like home is their genuine kindness, generosity, and concern for their guests' well-being. Keeping the hostel spotless and running smoothly would be quite enough work. But they took time to sit down with us, ask thoughtful questions, and listen to our tales of woe and joy. Jalet told us stories about helping dehydrated and exhausted TransAmerica racers that brought me to tears. These people ride the entire 4,228 miles in as few as 17 days and can arrive at their "rest" points in pretty rough shape.

The upstairs bunk area.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Painted Hills. They look almost like giant animal feet up close
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Dee Fortebeautiful!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Because we have time flexibility and were able to spend a couple days at Spoke'n we also had an opportunity to visit Painted Hills with Jalet and Pat. They drove us out right before dusk, when the light was perfect for seeing the rich colors and the contours that make the landscape look like giant sleeping creatures. They told us about the geological history behind the burgundy, orange, gold, lavender, and black layers as we walked the Painted Cove trail. I couldn't believe that we'd lived in Oregon for so many years without seeing this natural wonder!

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0

As if the extreme hospitality that Pat and Jalet provide at Spoke'n weren't enough, Pat is also the pastor of their church and they are very involved in serving the Mitchell community and re-vitalizing the economy. Oh, and Pat also drives the Mitchell school bus during the school year.

Jalet prepared this sign for the incoming ACA group
Heart 3 Comment 0

We spent our 2nd night in the lovely bunkroom, and our 2 days at Spoke'n Hostel will remain one of the highlights of our 2018 bicycle adventure. Hopefully we'll be able to go back and help Pat and Jalet out someday with the valuable and impactful work they do for the cycling community and the town of Mitchell.

One of the handmade quilts
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bruce LellmanWhat a great hostel!! I can see why it was a highlight of your trip. A place like that with great hosts can make a huge impact on us all.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so glad you were able to make it out to the painted hills. We just saw it for the first time about two years ago, and we’re blown away.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Bruce LellmanYes! This level of hospitality makes a huge difference! Imagine a network of similar hostels across the country ...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonWe were very lucky that Pat and Jalet drove us out there. We probably would not have taken the detour on our bikes with the excessive heat.

Would be a great ride, though, in cooler weather.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago