Mitchell to Prineville- 2000 Miles So Far... - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2018

Mitchell to Prineville- 2000 Miles So Far...

Heart 7 Comment 0

The hostel bunks were were comfortable and we slept all the way until 5:30 am. I'm impressed with this place and hope we can get back soon to help them out. Today we had a big pass, Ochoco to climb, intense heat to beat and our 2,000 mile benchmark was only 9 miles away. We were planning to stay a couple days in Prineville with friends Jill and Mickey and we looked forward to that. 

Before leaving the Spoke'n Hostel, sitting at mile 1991.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The edge of the Painted Hills....
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The first couple of miles descended so it was a little chilly. Both of us had our jackets and long sleeve gloves on for awhile. Well, technically they are long finger gloves, but I call them long sleeve. So there. 

2000 Miles

Ok, so the link is a bit of a stretch. But I'll use any excuse to get The Proclaimers into the discussion. 

Somewhere on US Highway 26, 9 miles west of Mitchell, we passed the 2000 mile threshold. We didn't stop to commemorate, but it was a milestone for us. As of this evening, we've ridden 2038 miles from Weston, Missouri to Prineville Oregon, 71 days after our start date of May 24. I don't know off hand what the total mileage is counting the leapfrogs, but I'll work on a summary when I get to Portland. 

9 miles west of Mitchell we passed 2000 miles ridden
Heart 2 Comment 0
Basic but nice
Heart 5 Comment 0
Chugging up the long approach to Ochoco Pass.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
I wonder if there are delicious chicken and dumplings inside?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dee Fortehaha what is it?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekType your comment here
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I GOT BLISTERS ON MY ARSE!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Jalet from Spoke'n Hostel arranged for the Christian Camp just west of Ochoco summit to keep a water jug out for bikers and travelers, and it's been a reliable water source for cyclists for a couple of years. She is pretty influential.
Heart 4 Comment 3
J. BurgraffThat is awesome.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee Fortethat's so cool!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnVery thoughtful and I am sure appreciated. Go ahead, wet that whistle :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
I like this one. Basic but rugged and authentic.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Shortly after topping the summit we ran into Daniel and Jenny, originally from Kansas bit loving in New York as aspiring actors. I suggested they try to get on with the new play called "Hamilton". I like to give helpful advice.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pretty elaborate
Heart 4 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnAmazing! Fitting for the property it welcomes you on to.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We descended the next 30 miles, not incredibly fast, to Ochoco Reservoir park, where we ate our usual tasty peanut butter and bagels, with an orange and some Chips Ahoy chunky cookies. Jen called Jill and arranged for her to pick us up in town so we could avoid the 7-mile, uphill route to their house. 

Ochoco Reservoir. There were almost no boats out there, probably due to the heat
Heart 4 Comment 0
Jill and Mick's vintage Chinook camper
Heart 5 Comment 0

Jill met us at Ray's Grocery store and we loaded the Surlys into the camper,  picked up some groceries and headed to their house for a few days of laziness, food and beers. Little did we expect to have a conversation that might change the course of the Grumbys Nomadic Retirement plan..... Stay tuned.  Same Grumby time, same Grumby channel. 

Jen is sitting in the best chair ever- from Ikea.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,038 miles (3,280 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Andrea BrownSo, I'm sitting here listening to the Proclaimers finish off their song and wondering what is going to be proclaimed about the Grumbys Nomadic Retirement Plan. Maybe if I play it backward and the Proclaimers walk 500 miles in reverse I'll gain insight. I'll let you know.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownI'll be interested to learn what the backwards Scottish reveals....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownYou know how the Scots like their oats, right? There is porridge in your future. And haggis.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonWaaah! The suspense is unbearable! Rachael (taking her driving shift now, on our way back to Portland) thanks Andrea for reminding her of 500 Miles, one of her favorite songs; but no thanks for reminding us of haggis.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago