Missouri Valley to Onawa: a Headwind Story Problem - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2018

Missouri Valley to Onawa: a Headwind Story Problem

Today: a story problem for the physicists and mathematicians out there.

Jen and Ron left Missouri Valley on their touring bicycles at 6am and arrived in Onawa at 2pm. Their average moving speed was 7.3mph, the average headwind speed was 14mph, and the distance traveled was 44 miles.

If there had been no headwinds, how much earlier would they have arrived in Onawa?

Not being a physicist or a mathematician, my guess is 12pm.

We've already done enough bitching about headwinds, so I'll just say headwinds-shmeadwinds!! The uplifting part of today's story was our strength and determination ... We rock! 

This is us at 0600 before 25 mph headwinds entered the picture
Heart 6 Comment 4
Scott AndersonPro tip: the wind would be less of a factor if Ron found his razor again.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanClean shaven face = Ron arriving well before Jen. I'm assuming they want to ride together. But I'm not a physicist or mathematician.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonI'm looking at 2 1/2 weeks without shaving. It will drive me crazy eventually.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanNot unless it's all downhill. I barely keep up with her.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We both stayed on our large chainrings through it all. And even though I shredded the back of my ankle/calf on my pedal pegs (whoopsidaisies!), I laughed it off and kept riding. Ron was an admirable EMT and had the wounds cleaned and dressed in 17.5 seconds.

We stopped at the nice city park in Mondamin, where there are large flags erected every 20 feet. 87% of their budget goes to flags. Either they REALLY love America or they keep forgetting where they are. But the park was nice and people waved
Heart 4 Comment 0
Jen enjoyed the curvy slide
Heart 8 Comment 0
Ouch!
Heart 3 Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesOooh that looks sore. I'm sure you know this, but keep a really close eye out for signs of infection. Do you have statistics for that rather deep looking section?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanIt's a bad part of the body to have an open wound while riding a bike because it tends to pick up a lot of dirt and junk that would make it infected. Be careful. (I speak from experience.)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI'm checking frequently. It's looking better every day and is healing well. It was probably .5" long at first. .
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaBeautiful ‘war’ wounds. Be safe
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This looks like Scott and Rachael Anderson's scenery.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNope. We haven’t seen a flat road like that since we left Portland, OR. You two have all the luck!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonGood point. Except the part about the luck
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Note: the headwinds are very audible in the video so maybe turn the volume down. 

 To celebrate our ass-kicking day, we stopped at the grocery store in Onawa, bought some Blue Bunny ice cream, and found a nice park for an ice cream picnic 2 blocks away.

Heart 3 Comment 0

From there we continued on another 6 or so miles to Lewis & Clark State Park. There were no tent camping spots, so we had the youth camping area all to ourselves. We set up the tent, washed out a few stinky clothes, and rode over to check out the keel boat replica. Imagining what day-to-day life was like for Lewis, Clark, and their crew reminded us how lucky we are to have the many conveniences of our journey. A few things they did not have: places to seek shelter during storms, trail angels and gracious hosts, maps and satellite navigation tools, bug spray, grocery stores, roads, lightweight technical clothing and gear, awesome bicycles, and Blue Bunny ice cream!

The view from our campsite at sunset
Heart 8 Comment 1
Ron plotting to steal the Lewis and Clark keelboat for the rest of the Grumbys' journey
Heart 8 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 188 miles (303 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonAwesome. This is the first day that made us think we’d like to do this too. You guys rock alright!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago