Grumbiversary in Lincoln, MT - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2018

Grumbiversary in Lincoln, MT

Free anniversary breakfast
Heart 7 Comment 2
Li LaHappy (belated) anniversary. We are so happy you found each other and have this adventure together, Thank you for sharing your lives with us. Wish you 10 more and 10 more and 10 more, and so on.
Be safe.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaThanks Linda. We look forward to seeing you in PDX soon.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

To celebrate our 10th anniversary, Ron and I decided to take a down day in Lincoln. After the ride over Rogers Pass we were ready for a Glorious Do Nothing Day with zero early alarms.

We slept a solid 10 and a half hours in our Goldilocks bed at the Three Bears Motel. After slowly rolling out of bed, we knocked on Gay's door and gingerly walked our sore bodies across the road to Bushwackers for breakfast. 2 pancakes, meat-of-your-choice, eggs, and bottomless coffee. We watched the Federer-Anderson Wimbledon match while we ate and Gay surprised us by buying our breakfast. Federer lost ... maybe because we had such a tough day on Rogers Pass??

Heart 8 Comment 0

The rest of the day went pretty much like this: sleep, eat, sleep, eat, sleep. There was also a short walk to Hooper Park and some logistics planning. One of the eating sessions included a walk across the street from the park to the Lincoln Pit Stop for milkshakes.

This staged photo accurately depicts our day
Heart 9 Comment 0
As does this one
Heart 10 Comment 1

In amongst our logistics discussions, we calculated a Friday arrival in Missoula. Since it's the weekend of the Missoula Marathon and there is no affordable lodging available, Ron arranged for his Uncle Chuck to pick the 3 Amigos up at the Adventure Cycling Association office after he gets off work. From there we'll go to Cousin Charlie's house in Stevensville and spend a couple days before we get back on the road.

I thought that when I retired I was abandoning the planning quadrant of my brain at the office. But bicycle touring requires a fair amount of strategery. We are constantly evaluating such questions as:
What do the temperatures and wind speed look like for the next couple of days?
Do we have what we need to stay safe in extreme weather conditions (water, shelter, etc.)?
Considering the weather, how early should we leave and how far should we ride?
Where and when will we have access to drinking water?
Where and when will we be able to purchase food?
What type of lodging is available?
Are there any major events scheduled in the town/city that we're riding into?
Etc.

Heart 7 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnCoolest park sign ever!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Dinner?
Heart 4 Comment 0

Anyhow ... That sums up Grumbiversary Volume 10. Strategery, food, and lots of rest. For the most part a Glorious Do Nothing Day .. until Ron discovered that my back tire was flat at 9:40pm. Luckily the wire worm culprit was easy to find and he had everything back in order by 10:00. 

The evil wire worm bastard
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonRogers Pass! 10 years! Sleep, eat, and sleep some more! Congratulations!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanCongratulations you two! I thought you had been married for 50 years.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonCongrats on great achievements!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonThanks!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanHaha! Thanks!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Suzanne GibsonThanks!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Paula LentowichHappy Anniversary!! Glad you got to celebrate with a do nothing day. Wishing you no headwinds, no traffic, no wire worms, and easy pedaling!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago