Downtime in Bismarck- Chasing a tire and summarizing one month on the road - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2018 to June 24, 2018

Downtime in Bismarck- Chasing a tire and summarizing one month on the road

6/23 and 6/24

We decided to get a hotel for a couple days in Bismarck to rest and plan the next stage. The long ride plus the buffoons in the campground  left us tired and  grumpy Grumbys. Haha! Plus we have the damn tire to track down. 

Gay stayed at General Sibley Campground again Saturday night with the drunken hoosier meatheads and planned to leave Sunday morning towards Hebron on the I-94 cutoff

Saturday morning, the day after our long ride into Bismarck, we rode the 5 miles from the campground to the EverSpring Inn, where I had reserved the last room online an hour before. We checked in, unloaded our crap and took a nap. The room was comfortable and roomy, and  sufficient for both bikes, the bags  and us. There was a major softball  tournament in town which  brought 500 teams in, which iinflated hotel prices for Saturday night. But the staff was incredibly nice and interested  in our trip. We gave them Porridge cards but I wish we'd have gotten their names. I highly recommend the Everspring Inn if you're in Bismarck. 

After the nap we walked to the mall and grocery store. It was boring like a rest day should be. 

On Sunday we walked downtown and past the Governor's house to the state capital. There are some nice old homes and large elm trees along the way. A lot of the architecture in downtown is very institutional, kind of mid-century drab with muted colors. We did run across some nice alley murals. 

Sitting Bull
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 2
Li LaBovine art! Moo.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Li LaA cow with slippers! Love the sign, "You had the power all along my dear ..."
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 2
Dee Fortethese are so cool!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteYeah theynare eye-popping.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Li LaNaughty ducky professor of art. Cool mural.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This was the North Dakota Governor's house until the 1950s.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesI like how color coordinated your tee is with the house. Well done.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Kathleen JonesI plan these things.....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
There were a lot of beautiful old houses just north of downtown
Heart 6 Comment 1
Dee Forteoh my gosh - love these houses!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The North Dakota state capitol
Heart 3 Comment 5
Andrea Brown(Disguised as a Borg ship)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanThat's the capitol building?!! Why have I never known how boring the N.D. capitol building was?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownHaha!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownHaha!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanIt's a closely guarded secret.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This is on the State Capitol grounds
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was an art exhibit at the mall where schoolkids drew different species of ducks. They are phenomenal! 

One of the entries in a duck.art contest displayed at the mall.This one was done by a 13 year old.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our reflection in a semi truck wheel
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI thought you said you had a boring rest day.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanGood point....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Jen and I have been mulling the option to rent a car or Uhaul to bypass some of the North Dakota route and hopefully miss some predicted thunderstorms. So we reserved one today (Sunday) and we will pick it up tomorrow morning. We will leapfrog to Beulah, North Dakota, 70 miles, rather than Dickinson, 91 miles. This will give us a jump out of town, avoiding softball hooligans rushing back home, and allows me to retrieve and install Jen's tire, assuming it arrives as scheduled. 

On another note- today June 24 marks 1 month on the road. You might remember this video of our departure from Weston, Missouri:

Some highlights of the adventure so far:

  1. Nice send-off parties in Missouri and Colorado, and getting dropped off in Weston by my family to get started. 
  2. Finally beginning fter talking about for so long
  3. Courtesy by most rural drivers 
  4. Learning that headwinds won't kill you
  5. A few tailwinds
  6. Riding with Gay Rehnback for 2 1/2 weeks. We learned a lot and enjoyed his humor, accent and company. 
  7. Sheltering in a bathrooms, a screen porch, and a neighbor's RV during angry thunderstorms. 
  8. Eating a lot of food with no consequence - Giant pancakes, sticky buns, chicken fried steak (3 times), more fresh produce than we expected. Honorable mention: Tee Pee Cafe in Bonesteel, South Dakota and Great Plains in Mobridge, South Dakota. 
  9. Lots of nice people and surprisingly great scenery. 
  10. No indication of political or philisophical suspicions with interactions with locals. I'm guessing many people in the rural areas wouldn't vote the same way Jen or I would, but we've never felt unwelcome.
  11. Mostly good weather. 
  12. It's better than working

Some lowlights

  1. The heatwave early in the trip, particularly Atchison, KS to Hiawatha on May 26.
  2.  Headwinds. I know I've harped on these many times, but when they are so strong that you are struggling to make 5 mph for hours on end, it is a truly helpless and ridiculous situation. Add up and down rollers and it makes Ron have a coniption.  
  3. A few asshole campers. I realize this is probably payback for my past sins, but nevertheless....
  4. A few asshole drivers, mostly in urban and suburban areas who have no spatial awareness and hurl their SUV or truck towards the next red light at warp speed. Luckily, most of the route has been on rural roads where drivers are patient and skilled. 
  5. The route has long some long stretches between services, and some of the scenery is monotonous. 

Statistics:

  • Miles ridden - 884 
  • Total Elevation Gain- 53,986 feet
  • Camping nights- 19
  • Camping expense- $224.30
  • Hotel- 10 nights
  • Hotel expense- $1092
  • Guests at Bonnie and Ed's - 2
I just told Ronald Reagan my favorite joke by my niece Amelia: Which President got into the most trouble? Rutherford BeHave! Get it? Reagan laughed his ass off.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Brian WestenhoferAfter I finished my bike-packing adventure I thought I would never (ever) do it again. However, as time passes and I read your posts, I find myself yearning for the exact things that I thought would kill me while on the road... headwinds, sore hiney and all the stupid drivers. I absolutely enjoy following along with your journey through these posts and always look forward the the next.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Greg SpinolaGreat murals, great duck art, and a great president joke. Thanks for the update, Mr. G.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaIt’s better than working. It’s better than working. It’s better than working. Dang. Still working. Stay safe
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Paula LentowichLove the art! Glad you were able to snag a room and have some chill time. Did you ever get the tire?? Hope you have tail winds, cool temps, great scenery, and no traffic as you head to your next destination!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Li LaHmmmmn. Time for a retirement acceleration plan? Have you read JL Collins' book yet?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Brian WestenhoferHey Brian, thanks for following along. It's been almost a year since we met you at Tumalo...
You should get back out there.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Paula LentowichYou have to read the June 28 post to.find about the tire.....🐘😀
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Greg SpinolaThank you for reading, Mr. G, especially on the midst of your brick dilema!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Greg SpinolaThank you for reading, Mr. G, especially on the midst of your brick dilema!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnLooks like a wonderful couple of days in Bismark. Enjoyed the building art and duck art.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago