6/27/18 Hebron to Dickinson: Sonder and Sugar - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2018

6/27/18 Hebron to Dickinson: Sonder and Sugar

Heart 3 Comment 0

After last night's mad dash to the church basement during the tornado warning, we were ready for an uneventful day on the road. Fortunately, the route from Hebron to Dickinson on Old Highway 10 delivered. The traffic was low, the shoulders were comfortably wide, and the hills and headwinds were both gentle.

Heart 6 Comment 0

The only annoyance we encountered was navigating our way through Dickinson. According to the Adventure Cycling map the population is 17,000. But Wikipedia says that with the North Dakota oil boom it could be 35,000. What that meant for us was a lot of unexpected traffic congestion, construction, and suburban sprawl.

Heart 8 Comment 1
Dee Fortegreat shot!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We arrived at Rocky Butte park a little agitated and more than ready for a lunch break. A mother-daughter pair from Minneapolis shared our picnic shelter and told us that they were on their way to a family reunion in Montana. After we told them our travel story, the daughter brought over fresh fruit and veggies to share. Cantaloupe, bing cherries, sugar snap peas, and carrots ... Yum!! We buy fresh produce when we can, but in small rural towns the selection is limited, so this festival of color and flavors was a trip to Tastebud Disneyland. I can't believe we didn't get the names of these awesome trail angels!

Rocky Butte: We were surrounded by pines, cedars and juniper trees for the first time in a month.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Li LaA different Rocky Butte. Scenic.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

As they were leaving the twenty-something daughter said that our exchange reminded her of a new word that she had learned: sonder.

sonder - n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own. Narrated, written, directed, edited and coined by John Koenig.Oct 26, 2014

If I were to list 10 words or phrases that capture the bicycle tour experience, sonder would be in the top 5. Another would be random acts of kindness. Yesterday it was Pastor Olson in Hebron. Today it was 2 women who happened to be picnicking at the same time as us. I only hope that the kindness we give will someday equal what we've received on this journey!

When we finished our lunchtime feast we made our way over to the North Park RV Park, where we had a camping reservation for the night. It was an odd little area that appeared to be one of the consequences of the oil boom. The lady that checked us in said that she was from Tennessee and that she and her husband had been there for 5 years due to his employment with Marathon Oil.

After we got situated in our secluded tent area, we did a load of laundry and walked a few blocks to the Super Walmart. On our way to the toothpaste aisle I noticed a strange product with the words "grass fed butter" in the description. I've heard of grass fed cows, but grass fed butter?? The idea of sticks of butter wandering around a pasture had me in stitches!

Sugar, the "cat"
Heart 7 Comment 3
Dee ForteGetting situated is important - one of my TOP things to do! ;)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Gent MendeShe looks like a little lynx.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Gent MendeYeah she is.cute
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Back at the campground we received a visit from Sugar, the mascot of the RV park. She is a tiny, fluffy, grey kitty with a big personality, and spent much of the evening with us. Her favorite part was when I took the clothesline down and played with her for a bit. We still miss our cat Camille that passed away a year and a half ago, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with a silly feline.

A random bee box photo for Scott and Rachael
Heart 7 Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, they’re ubiquitous! Great to see you out of your shelter and finally into the trees.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonYeah it's nice to see some changes.in scenery
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Our campsite at North Park
Heart 7 Comment 1
Scott BeanblossomI’m digging the ruby slippers
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
And we had our own oil well!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rice and chili... Mmmmm!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ron did an experiment. He bought some butter and put it on the grass to see if it would eat. But nothing. He then began force-feeding the grass into the butter and that seemed to work, but the butter tasted pretty bad. But he was as high as a kite!
Heart 9 Comment 1
Dee Fortehahahaha!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
I cut Ron's hair and collected the clippings to make a toupee
Heart 7 Comment 3
Dee Fortelooks good (not really)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaThe toupee kind of makes you look like Zippy the Pinhead. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippy_the_Pinhead
Agreed with Dee, friend of Grumby, that this is NOT a good look. But the beard is nice work. Ride safe. Look good.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Li LaHaha! I've never heard of Zippy before but that's not a good look.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanSugar appears to be a very cute cat!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanShe was great. It was nice to get a cat fix. She hung around all.evenjng and came back in the morning.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 963 miles (1,550 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Dee Forteloving reading about this journey!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteThanks for reading ! If you talk to your brother or sister or mother, tell them.m about it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnGreat haircut - mom and I think Ron is quite handsome. A few more haircuts and that toupee will be really something :-)

Love the word sonder - excellent description of that aspect of your journey and Sugar is such a beautiful cat.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago