Good Gravel, Bad Tarmac, Ugly Tornados on the Road from Beulah to Hebron, North Dakota - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2018

Good Gravel, Bad Tarmac, Ugly Tornados on the Road from Beulah to Hebron, North Dakota

We had it all today, good, bad and ugly.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is a great example of a poorly-applied and dangerous shoulder and rumble strip
Heart 7 Comment 0

We slept well at Riverside Park and got up at 5:00 am (!) to get an early start. There were 11 mph FHWs so the 37 miles would likely take longer than usual. The ACA route heads south on highway 49 but we soon found out that the road leaves a lot to be desired. It sucked the life out of me, especially the huge hills,  and I almost vomited last night's dinner (weiners).  The shoulder is narrow and the rumble strip is right the frick in the middle. The drivers were also pretty aggressive, giving us a little room. Traffic wasn't terribly heavy but the speed and proximity, combined with the FHW made Ron a grumpy boy. 

About 10 miles in, which took us 1 hour and 45 minutes, Jen suggested a gravel road which would get us off of 49 and not add any miles. So that's what we did, and I was immediately glad. Jen is a smarty. There were no cars, the gravel was small and packed, making for pretty fast riding with great solitude and scenery. 

Mrs. G thought outside the box and suggested the gravel road
Heart 8 Comment 1
Dee ForteWay to go Jen!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Abandoned buildings shortly after turning on CR 30.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The first 14 miles were like butter.
Heart 7 Comment 2
J. BurgraffJen is smart, this is more my type of road. Serenity Now!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffShe is smart! I like the gravel roads as long as it's fairly well packed.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0

The road surface got a little rougher when we turned on county road 37, with larger, looser gravel and pretty steep rollers.  Our direction turned more westwards, resulting in a shift from straight headwinds to crosswinds, which was helpful. We were surrounded by rolling farmland and natural grasslands, and a lot of solitude. 

We rolled into Hebron at 1:15 and claimed the large picnic shelter as our own. The town allows free camping but we gave a donation of $10 to the kid behind the city pool counter. 

I was beat. Today's 37 miles felt more like 65 with the hills and FHW*. So we ate lunch and I took a nap on one of the picnic tables. It was 70 and there was a nice breeze. Jen napped too. Napping is one of the things we can do now, guilt free! 

*(Darn) Head Winds. 

We walked down to the Jack and Jill grocery for a couple things and talked to the owner for ahwile. He is a retired high school principal and he runs this store with his wife.  

Dinner tonight was mashed potatoes, a small can of pork and beans, a can of green beans and a can of chicken breast.  No pictures Steve and Sam because it looked dreadful, but it was delicious. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oooh, pretty clouds! Oh, shit.....
Heart 7 Comment 0
Fantastic!
Heart 1 Comment 1
No, this is not a screenshot from the 4 previous thunder storms....
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

The skies started looking threatening, dark clouds, lightning in the distance. The town pool was filled with kids but they closed as soon as the lightning started. 

Winds picked up, gusting to 60 mph according to the weather people, and we scrambled to get our stuff in the tent. It started hailing sideways, and then sheets of rain swept in.  Even under the huge picnic shelter, we were getting soaked. When we finally hunkered in the tent, we heard a voice say, "Hey folks, there's a tornado warning, so you should go into the church." He identified himself as the pastor and helped us carry a few things over. He said we should stay all night and he'd lock up in the morning.  Another generous person helping out strangers.  We settled into the Sunday School area and went to bed at about 11. 

The Touring Cycler Hillbillies strike again! This time at Sunday School.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Li LaGlad you found shelter at the church. Thank goodness for kindness of strangers and common sense suggestion of “take heartier shelter”. Otherwise, you would be back in Kansas with Dorothy and Toto. Ride safe. Stay out of the bumps.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee ForteThat's so nice of them to do that! There ARE good people in the world!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaYes, we are now looking at campgrounds much differently now. They need to have a sturdy baikput option.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteYeah there are.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 9 Comment 1
Dee Forteomg that's so pretty !
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Pastor Gaylund Olson saved the day.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 921 miles (1,482 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Judith CappausWhere do you go from Hebron? By the way, Bob has really enjoyed your blog, especially the ones in the Dakotas. He knows of almost every place you have stopped or mentioned. Stay safe! Mom/MIL
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Judith CappausIt's a secret (haven't written that post yet, but you can bet it's in North Dakota.
Tell Bob thanka for reading and I hope my occasional salty language isn't offensive. I can't help it. Jen keeps it in check.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonSalty language seems appropriate, even a thousand miles from the sea. I’ve lost track - is this the fourth emergency shelter you’ve had to bail out to? In thirty years of touring, that’s never happened to us.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonI think this was 5, but I'll go back and check. And we are holed up for the next 2 nights in a motel due to the tornado and t-storm forecasts. Yeesh!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekWe’ll, at least you’ve got the best of company while you’re holed up. Be safe!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago