Oswiencm (Auschwitz): 78km to Oswiencm and the rest riding around unloaded - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2014

Oswiencm (Auschwitz): 78km to Oswiencm and the rest riding around unloaded

Muesli and yogurt in our room then an early start. Finding the route was really easy and much as Alison and Eddy had predicted although we found the traffic too heavy for us. This applied in particular to the first part.on the 938 as there were lots of massive trucks which always terrify me consequently I cant tell you much about the countryside as I was concentrating on keeping safe.

After we transferred to the 399 things were somewhat better. The farmers were all out on this beautiful day and the crops really looked very good indeed. Maize was the predominant crop but there was also sugar beet, potatoes and wheat and barley that had already been harvested.

These roads made for fast travel (mainly I think because we wanted to get off them) and by 1.30pm we had done 73km I think that must be a a record for us. Called in to the information and found of course that our booked hotel was some way away. So off we went checked in then back on the unloaded bikes to the Auschwitz Museum.

Both of us found this particularly chilling, the fact that human minds can become so warped that these atrocities are committed is unbelievable. Neither of us could spend much time there. To me it seemed insensitive that they had a snack bar and bar on site - we certainly didn't feel like eating or drinking.

Back to the little village of Osweicm with its charming village square. What was happening in this village when all this was happening - did the SS requisition these houses? Now it is an attractive little village with everyone going about their business and soon we will bike back to the square and have what will be a relaxed meal. Our lives are so easy and protected.

A 2 cylinder Ursus Polish made with a potatoe digger on the back
Heart 0 Comment 0
The little towns looked great this is a park in one
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't see any
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not quite right
Heart 0 Comment 0
These rusted railway line must have brought them to the camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very poor photo of the famous sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken needed a cat fix
Heart 0 Comment 0
The square in the little town of Oswiecm
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 2,543 km (1,579 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0