Miltenberg to Lohr: A lovely meeting on the road - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2014

Miltenberg to Lohr: A lovely meeting on the road

The hills had begun to close in yesterday just before we got to Miltenberg. The ride was through much more agricultural looking country. For the first time we were seeing herds of cows that look very much like the ones we have seen previously in the Abondance Valley in France. That is lovely big, strong brown and cream animals with a very gentle look. To me it seemed a day of wild flowers with the odd castle thrown in for interest. It really seems as if you are cycling through one giant park and with a gentle wind behind us for most of the time it was very easy.

When we got to Marktheidenfeld we wondered about stopping but there were two things against it. Firstly it would make tomorrows ride to Wurzberg rather long and secondly there was a massive loud fun fair going on. We had to push our bikes through the throng for around 2km, the air was thick with the smell of frying foods and candy floss and the adults were making a good job of demolishing 1litre steins of beer. Every one was in high good humour and lots of Grandparents seemed to be giving their grandchildren a treat.

We escaped the mele and came to a quiet place by the river for lunch. This was much to the delight of the resident Muscovy Duck. He immediately realised that Ken cant refuse any animals and the duck enjoyed his lunch too before he waddled off to greet the next group of cyclists. Our stop for the night is at Lohr which is a wonderful little town. It seems much more genuine to me than many of these old towns as the Aldstadt seems to have fewer shops selling tacky souvenirs. Once more we are staying in a fabulous place. The Hotel Krone is 400years old and the owner tells me it is the second oldest hotel in Germany.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there is some stinging nettle here too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meetings on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee time for Kiwis
Heart 0 Comment 0
How much is the doggie in the window
Heart 0 Comment 0
Digging to the centre of the earth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kens duck friend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over the bridge into Lohr
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fun at the fair (out of sequence)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 400 year old Krone Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 524 km (325 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0