Zurich to Berlin - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2019

Zurich to Berlin

Good Company in Berlin

Well that was easy. Hop on a plane in Zurich and hop off in Berlin. It would have taken us weeks on the bikes!  Our airport experience was as smooth as possible, our flight was on time and on arrival in Berlin there were Wolfgang and Anne waiting to pick us up. What a wonderful sight!

It is gloriously sunny and hot and we immediately retreated to Wolf and Anna’s backyard for a cool drink and a delicious lunch. There was the latest wedding album to peruse, news about their children and grandchildren to catch up on...they have six grandchildren...and family  news of ours to share. That done, Wolf and Keith retired to the chaise lounge and the hammock respectively and had a little snooze while Anne and I visited. 

Then it was off to see Berlin, with the best kind of tour guides. We headed down to the Spree River and watched the world go by. 

The main train station. This is where we arrived last time. Note the dockless ebike in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was absolutely as wonderful as it looks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Keith found another duck.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were so many of these tour boats, and a hop on hop off version.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reflection in a boat window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one was bright!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we went for a good walk. The architecture in Berlin is really something to see. There are so many amazing buildings, new and old. 

On our way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw three young men on BMX bikes under here who were very, very talented. Unfortunately they stopped performing before we could get a picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wolfgang with Anne and I in front of the Reichstag. We are registered to visit the dome and terrace tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is the dome above the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fernsehturm Tower, the tallest structure in Germany. It was built between 1965-69 by the GDR as a symbol of Communist power. When the sun shines on the dome the reflection appears in the shape of a cross. Berliner’s nicknamed the cross the ‘Popes Revenge’.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Angela Merkel’s official residence.
Heart 1 Comment 0

All that walking, and we wound up at a Spree side beer garden for beer and dinner. The sort of place it is unlikely you would discover without local knowledge. Not a tourist in sight, other than ourselves.  The engaging young man next to me tried to teach me a new trick with beer coasters. It is going to require some practice before I unveil it at home. He had me in stitches. The whole place was just hopping. 

Tuesday night in Berlin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Anne and I got such a kick out of watching people come back from the bar with their trays of beer. Then Wolfgang and Keith came back with ours, and our dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made one more stop on the way home, sitting lakeside to have a glass of wine. It was 10 PM and I was still in my sleeveless dress feeling so warm and comfortable. You don’t get many evenings like that in Victoria so I savoured it. We are looking forward to tomorrow. We are so very, very lucky. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0