Berlin - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2019

Berlin

Berlin With Berliners

We had another amazing day with the best kind of tour guides. Great friends and locals. Keith and Wolfgang met so long ago none of us are really sure which year. Let’s round it off and say it has been close to fifty years. They met in the early seventies. This was well before my time, and Wolfgang had some great pictures of Keith that I had never seen. 

One cool guy. He was rocking those paisley shorts.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Wolfgang picked us up in his vintage Volkswagen. What a treat. We zipped to their place and picked up Anna and switched to a more practical car for four. 

Cherry red and beautiful car.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started off with a cruise of the Spree River. What a phenomenal way to see the old city. The boat winds its way through the government district and past the Dom and the Museums Insel. We sat outside on the top of the ship, despite the sunshine and plus 30 degree temperatures. The air conditioned cabin was appealing but not as good for photographs or views. 

Walking past the Dom just before our river cruise.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking up at the dome.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We toured the Dom last time we were here so this time we just admired from the outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail on the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jewish Synagogue in the distance.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It was so hot on that upper deck a little ice cream was necessary.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of the Museums Insel...Museums Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Reichstag.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stunning building in the government quarter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walkways over the Spree linking buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More interesting architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a great deal of contemporary architecture in Berlin. After reunification new construction started in earnest. Then there is the fact that it is estimated that 90% of the downtown area and 60% of Berlin were destroyed in World War 2.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The victory column.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail on a bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next up was the Reichstag. It was fantastic. We were given audio guides and the information was so well thought out.  The views were amazing.  It was a bit of an oven towards the top though!  

Happy tourist with two locals.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A spectacular piece of architecture.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Brandenburger Tor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hole at the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
When it rains the rainwater drains into the catch basin behind us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down into the Bundestag (German Federal Parliament).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Solar shade that moves with the sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were now so hot that a little rest and refreshment were in order. Off to the Beer Garden we went. We also had a little appetizer there. 

Oh we were happy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And I couldn’t possibly be in Germany and not have pork knuckle 😀. We all shared this one.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it was on to the absolute highlight of the day. Anna and Wolfgang made the most amazing dinner and we were able to meet one of those babies. It was a great evening. Several years ago Wolfgang and Anna’s son Simon and great nephew Etienne came to stay with us. Unfortunately Simon and his family were out of town but Etienne, his wife, daughter and parents were there. Rosalie was the undisputed centre of attention. 

Rosalie and I bonding.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now it is Keith’s turn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosalie and Etienne. She was loving the sensation of the cold glass on a warm evening. It really made us all laugh.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosalie and her beautiful Mom.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Helen StarkThis is a beautiful shot. Just lovely
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Then it was back to our sweet little Pension, which is about five minutes from Wolf and Anna’s. There will be time for more visiting in the morning before we head to the airport and our flight back to Zurich. 

Quiet, comfortable and European. Just a great spot to stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0